Rat Forum banner

Size of Immersion Area?

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Hedgian 
#1 ·
So, hopefully I will be getting a pair of rats this Saturday, which means I get to start immersion with them pretty soon. I was wondering how large the area should be? I have a bathroom that can be blocked off easily but it leaves a kind of small area for them to be. They'll have the room to get away from me but only about maybe five feet at most? Is this too small?

I can't really think of a better place to use but I could probably find one if I tried to. I don't want to use the play pen I made because I'm afraid of what might happen if one of them decides to find a way to escape and succeeds. I really don't want a rat that's afraid of me hiding under my bed, so I would really like to use the bathroom if I can. I would still have to rat-proof that bathroom with towels under the doors and some type of blocker under the counter in here since there's two slots that open up to somewhere under there and I don't want my rats escaping into it.

I have read the immersion guide by Rat Daddy twice now but I would still really like to hear of any tips you guys have for me as well. Thank you for reading this! :3

#2 ·
I used a space that had enough room for me to sit in and a foot to either side. You don't want too much space that they can hide in or sit away from you. I recommend a small hallway with doors shut and entrances blocked.

#4 ·
I use a hallway too but as the rats are technically my daughter's pets, there are two of us there and she's 8 years old and can cover a lot of room playing and chasing the rats. Basically both you and your rat need some maneuvering room. The more space you have the more fun you can have on the upside, the less space you have the easier it is to stay in contact and engaged. Space is a trade off, basically you use what you have and adapt. Lots of folks use bathrooms. My only advise is that you bring cushions or pillows so you can be comfortable if you are going to be working on a hard floor.

#5 ·
If you use a bathroom look under the sinks. Sometimes under the cabinets (if you have them) there will be a hole that leads to under the cabinet. I learned about it in my bathroom pretty late but luckily Blaze isn't skittish so he didn't crawl all the way in and hide. I was able to grab him and stuff a towel into the hole.

#6 ·
Rat Daddy- That's a very good idea. Thank you for reminding me of how uncomfortable those floors are going to be. xD

Hedgian- Yep. There are two holes under my cabinets that I have to close up. Any ideas on how? Does putting towels or somethin similar in them work well?

#8 ·
Okay. That's what I was planning to do but I was trying to see if there was something better.

Also, it's definite that I will be getting my pair on Saturday. I talked to my dad about it and explained emersion to him a bit and he said we would go on Saturday to get them. I just can't wait!

#10 ·
Oh yes. XD I'm nervous about getting to the store and no finding friendly rats though... I called and they were getting a. es shipment of dumbos this week and another single standard rat to keep one they had leftover company. I will sadly be grtting them from a petstore, as that is really the only place I can go. There is only one breeder here now and they only breed one or two litters a year and to be honest I doubt ny dad would ever take me to Atlanta for a few rata when we can get some from the store that's 15 minutes away. Hopefully I'll get some really sweet ones though.

#11 ·
Some pets stores have good rats I think. I got Jojo from the pet store and he isn't as friendly as I had hoped but he has shown no signs of any illnesses since I got him. And I assume Blaze came from a pet store I really have no clue but he is extremely friendly.

#12 ·
I'm glad to hear that. I know a lot of users on here have rats from pet stores and the one I'm going to seems like a pretty good one. The guy knew how long the rats had been there and really thought when I asked him how old the one they had in was. I think they should be fine but I'm still nervous. xD

#13 ·
My two girls are from the same pet store, I got them one week apart. Maybe it was beginners luck since I did not know about rat breeders then. The first was the last one left in the tank - I suppose because she is a feisty one, and could have been hard to catch by the store staff, and maybe her character saved her from unfortunate fate after all. The second one was one of 4 or 5 similarly looking hooded sister, but the only one with cute big ears (I'm not sure is she a dumbo or not) which made her stand out. Luckily they have been healthy for over 6 months. They are both lovely creatures, and I couldn't be happier!

#14 ·
I'm very glad to hear that! They look absolutely adorable in your avatar. I'm sure I'll get a good pair but I'll probably be a bit nervous about it until I bring them home. I'm hoping to get there and snag a good pair before anyone else can take them. XD

#15 ·
Yes they will be stressed out. Don't be surprised to see quite a bit of scare poop. If you're only 15 minutes drive that's not a lot. But take someone with you for the ride so you can hold the box with rats.
I'm sure you will get some wonderful babies! Post some pictures when you have then at home.

#16 ·
I definitely will! And my dad will be driving me there, I won't be going by myself. ^-^
I do have a question about the immersion though... I'll be doing one at a time since this is my first time owning rats, but how do I choose which one to do first? My thought was to take the one that seemed less friendly (Or more scared, I guess), since they would probably need more work? Or do I do them both at the same time? I understand either way they'll be stressed but I'm not really sure how well I'll cooperate watching two at once. But, if it's better to immerse them both at the same time I think I can do it. I just wanted to ask. ^-^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.