Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my two girl rats are about 8 months old, but they never seem to get any bigger. some of the rats ive seen on here are HUGE.
they both eat quite alot, so is there something wrong?? or do they not get bigger till later on in life?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
male rats are typically bigger then females. so if you have females and are comparing them to pics of males then don't expect them to get that big. also inproper nutrition early in life can stunt their growth. the there is always perception error. you're there with them all the time, seeing them all the time so you don't notice the change growth because its so gradual now. then finally some rats are just bigger then others. i have 4 full grown rats 2 mostly grown rats and a 4month old kid rat and they are all different sizes. kakushi and her mother are really big, spider is short statured and fat, violet is about average and twix and tween are stunted. they're bout 10 months old now and the 4 month old hairless (which typically grow slightly smaller then fur rats) and she's as big as twix and tween. rats, like people, come in all sorts of different sizes

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yep, like Twitch said, they really do vary. We have a 14 month old and a 4 month old and they are both the same size. I dread to think how big the youngest is going to get! We knew she was going to be big from early on, though, from the size of her feet and frame.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll second what's already been said here. My 1 year old girl is 300 grams, and my 4 month old girl is 240 grams, and not done growing. Many girls stay petite, it depend on their family history.

That said, there are times when i miss my 1.5lb squishy men :p

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
When I got Jay we had him for 2-3 weeks and then I decided he needed a cage mate, so we got Bob who was a bit younger and smaller at the time. NOW, Bob is very much larger than Jay (hehe, but that doesnt stop Jay from play beating up Bob) :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts