Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there rat lovers! I desperately need some help.

I am an experienced rat owner but I havnt had rats for a few years as I moved over to the UK, so before lockdown I was planning on getting my babies and was so excited,
I have had these two little boys for about 3 months now (they are almost 5 months old)
When I arrived at the house to collect them, I was horrified with the state of her home, it was a studio with about 6 big cages full of mum's and babies and some older males in separate cages...it was a very sad state and I wanted to leave as soon as I got there because the smell was unbearable!

But I felt I had to to take my boys anyway because I couldn't bare to leave them there and I was already Inlove with them!
wish I could have taken them all really!
(I did report her to animal welfare straight after)

Anyway about 3 weeks after having them I thought I had to bath them because they stank of pee and they were scratching a lot, I also noticed their skin was yellow and spotty in patches,
I diddnt want to because bathing a rat is pretty traumatic on the best of days and they were babies still,
anyway I did it because they were uncomfortable and I was worried about mites, it went better than expected, they seemed a bit happier after they dried a bit, once they did dry I noticed their skin was still very yellow in patches, I've done so much research and can't find anything related to this! I thought it was pee from their old home but now that I've had them for a while the yellow colour hasn't gone away, and they are getting itchy again ,one of them is worse than the other aswell.
Oh and they did have treatment for mites soon after I had them but I actually don't know what's going on now,
I want to take them to the vet to get it checked out but I thought I'd ask on here first in case it is only wee and I just need to bath them again really well馃槙 appreciate any advice or ideas馃槡 going to try get photos of the yellow areas too!
If you want to see them their Instagram is @2lilrats

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read it sounds like it can be some kind of parasite on your rats, lice, mites, fleas, or ticks. This article says what each looks like
Thank you so much, I have read loads of these to try find out what it is, and I've just read that whole study but nothing sounds like what this is, it's only on their backs, literally everywhere else is nice skin, and I washed them again today to see if it will come off but its pretty much the same, I tried to take some pictures while they were wet to see their skin maybe it will help馃槄

Attachments

Registered
It just looks like buck grease, which is totally normal for males. It's absolutely no problem. As they get older, their skin can look pretty orange. If they end up getting greasy, flaky, or itchy, changes or supplements to their diet may be helpful but it doesn't look to me like you have anything to worry about.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
It just looks like buck grease, which is totally normal for males. It's absolutely no problem. As they get older, their skin can look pretty orange. If they end up getting greasy, flaky, or itchy, changes or supplements to their diet may be helpful but it doesn't look to me like you have anything to worry about.
Thank you so much! I actually red something this morning that said it might be buck grease, and dive never had makes so this explains A LOT!馃槄 I was really worried haha! And they are not actually scratching more than usual! Any advise on supplements that could help with this? Peanut is much worse I don't know if he is scratching a little more

Attachments

Registered
Oh gosh. That does look much worse, not like normal buck grease issues. That looks like a legitimate skin condition, parasites or a fungal infection perhaps. I think you're 100% right that it's vet time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Oh gosh. That does look much worse, not like normal buck grease issues. That looks like a legitimate skin condition, parasites or a fungal infection perhaps. I think you're 100% right that it's vet time.
Aw no...yeah vet thinks it's parasites but I am positive it's not and I don't want to put any chemicals on him for no reason, it may irritate his skin even more, so going to haveto find a new vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts