Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my youngest rat bernard is a blue dumbo rat i got from a petshop. His health has generally not been as good as my two others and all previous rats actually.

the other day i was skritching him and saw that his skin is weird.

his skin is orange and flaky...any idea wat this could be? my other rats are in contact w/ him all the time and groom eachother but theirs is clear and pink and hydrated, so its obviously not contagious.

any feedback would be great

has anyone here had this w/ one of your rats?

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's called buck grease. It's primarily caused by too much protein in their diet. For males, that can dangerous long term. What are you feeding them?

·
Registered
106 Posts
To my knowledge buck grease can be normally occuring... it is caused by testosterone, not protein. Where did you read that? Buck grease is totally normal and some rats are just prone to lots of buck grease.

Try giving a small piece of bread once a week soaked in olive oil. It will really help the skin and coat, and aid with the buck grase.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Lise said:
To my knowledge buck grease can be normally occuring... it is caused by testosterone, not protein. Where did you read that? Buck grease is totally normal and some rats are just prone to lots of buck grease.
Some rats are prone to more grease then others, because the oiliness of skin is genetic just like a lot of things. True, the grease itself is caused by an overproduction testosterone, but while most bucks do have some amount, an abundance to the point where the skin is discolored, flaky, and or itchy is not normal. And it can usually be dealt with by diet. The olive oil works because of the increase in Omega 3 it gives. Reduction in Omega 6 protein sources in the diet encourages uptake in Omega 3 already present in the diet, giving the same results. :D

Usually if there is enough protein present in the diet to encourage excessive buck grease, it's around 20%, which is unhealthy for rats in general, espicially bucks.

As such, I didn't mean to infer that the grease itself was caused by protein. :) Sorry for faulty wording, and thanks for pointing that out to me!

·
Registered
928 Posts
along the same subject the otherday i put roobs back for the night and he had a big orange splodge on his side but i checkd him over and there were no cuts and wen i went to show my mom the next day it was gone!! was this also buck greese?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i feed him a seed/fruit/nut mix (my females eat the same) and everyday they get either fresh veggies, juice, pasta, meat. or a combination of all or some. well basically anything i eat that seems suitable they can eat.

his fur is spotless and his skin is orange.
can buck grease stay only on the skin?
and if i read right, feeding him less protein( i often give my rats cat food as treats or like a piece of chicken or ham) and replace it instead w/ fish or olive oil it might help to some degree?

thanks alot too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts