Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male, albino rat Sherbert is only a few months old. Today while I was holding him I noticed that the skin and fur on his rump were covered in tiny brown spots. He hasn't been scratching a whole lot or acting sick, but I was wondering if anyone would recognize this as an illness and give me advice on how to treat it if necessary. The only things I can think of that might contribute to skin problems are that I bath Sherbert every couple weeks and that he gets too much sugar (my boyfriends always sneaking him banana chips).

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now Sherbert has begun shedding, alot. Previously I hadn't really noticed much hair after playing with him. But now after playing with him for even just a short while my shirt will be covered in rat hair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it may be mites. Take him to the vet so they can treat it.
Rats dont need bathing unless they get dirty, it can take essential oils etc out of there fur and skin.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Catherine896...bathing only needs to be done once every few months and even then only when you can see they NEED a bath. Just like human hair, rats need the oils in their skin, otherwise their skin will dry out and cause itchiness.

If you have bathed Sherbert recently, did you rinse him off THOROUGHLY? Left over shampoo (hope it was a rat-safe shampoo, suitable for puppies/kittens too) can cause irritations, and Sherbert could be grooming himself excessivly to alleviate some of the itchiness.

Otherwise, consider treating him for mites (the bumps around the tail sound like it) and when you do, clean his living area COMPLETELY as mites will be hiding everywhere!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You sound like you have lice. The brown spots, especially if you watch, will be moving slightly.

Revolution will clear them right up, but you will need to treat all of your rats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts