Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my rat Mikey has a weird skin thing going on. I've tried looking it up but I can't find anything that will match what he has. Right now I think it might be because of stress or something else but I wanted your opinion. Mikey is missing fur where the red spot are. They aren't from fighting because Mikey never fights. Ever since he started getting the red spots he has been loosing weight. He eats constantly. None of the other rats have it. I would post a pic but he never stays still so its hard.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Red spots and losing fur are two of the main signs of parasite infestation, usually mites. I would look into a treatment like kitten Revolution, available from your vet. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They can get it from other rats, bedding, material from outside, being outside... Lots of ways. It doesn't mean they're dirty or anything.

Check his cagemate(s), perhaps they have some signs too?

Edited to add: Protein issues can crop up this way too, but the other issue seems more common, I think....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I was about to mention the protein thing because I thought about that earlier with another posts about skin problems

Definitely check for mites, often they can't be found by the naked eye.

But since it is easy to list the foods you feed could you tell us about the diet before you grab the magnifying glass?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Can you check the bag of Reggie Rat you have and tell us the guarenteed analysis (protein % especially?) As I recall it's not too horrid, though being a mix the rats can easily choose to eat only the seed and other high-protein bits.

If you do switch the food, I'd look through the 'diet' sticky in this forum so you can make an informed choice as to the next food. :)

The best option would still likely be to get them to a vet and have them looked at. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts