Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted 2 boys from a rescue. I've posted on them before but this is a newer issue. One of the boys is quite big - a little too fat but I'm hoping to combat that with a better diet. But the other boy is really skinny. He's not drastically underweight, but I can feel his spine when I'm petting him. He seems fairly happy and is settling in well - although he is not fond of being picked up, he loves to sit on my lap and get scritches. He does have some old lung issues, but it doesn't seem to interfere with quality of life. I'm just wondering at this point what would be the best way to put some weight on him?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
How old are these boys? Older rats often have protruding spines and their bellies hang down.

For fattening up i use baby cereal, strawberry ensure and a drop or 2 of olive oil. I would feed just he skinny guy as the other one doesn't need this :roll:

Lots of veggies, a bit more protein than usual.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
eclecticnoise said:
They are a bit older, but we're really not sure how old. Could be 1 1/2 years or 2 years.
The spine/hips being able to be felt on a 2 year old is common, make sure there's meat/fat on him other places. If he's thin all over, start really fattening him up. If it just seems like gravity is pulling that belly down then put him on a slight weight maintaining diet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
feed him lots of treats and vegetables. That might help.

I hope he gets bigger soon!

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ Isn't avocado poisonous to small animals? Or is it just only okay for rats?

Anyway, I'd try peanutbutter and sunflower seeds (black oil sunflower seeds are good). I had a Campbell's dwarf hamster that was really skinny (but still healthy) to start with when she came to us, and after an oops litter, she looked even worse. I fed her a sunflower seed/peanutbutter ball (just mix the seeds and pb, it's a lot cleaner and easier to eat that way) every other night for a week or two, and she's finally plumped up!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, avocado is poisonous, but it's just the pit and the skin, and any part of the meat that has touched those parts should be discarded.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My boy is being so picky! He doesn't really like to eat when he's out of the cage (such a lazy creature). He usually just likes to sit on my lap and get his pettins.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I use scrambledd eggs to help my girls get a bit bigger and also add as many treaty things as i can - they dnt see them as treats so the yoggie drops makes there ways into the rats meals at times
Jess x

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far I've tried baby food, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, yogurt. He doesn't want anything. I can't get him to eat this stuff in or out of the cage. I don't really know what to do. He's surviving right now - but I want him to thrive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts