Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, me again.

Edgar is eating all his foods, and running around (albeit slowly) but I've noticed that he is almost constantly making a clucking noise (sort of like clickclickclick) and his breathing although not laboured that I can see, is fast. It's either fast breathing or I can see his heart beating through his ribs and skin. He is VERY thin, and he is walking on his tippy toes.

I posted pictures in my other thread.

Lizzie x

·
Registered
227 Posts
Is it the sound of him clicking his teeth together? If so, that's bruxing. A lot of times it's a happy rat sound, but stressed rats will make it as well.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Rapid breathing and clicking/clucking sounds, lethargy, and bad condition..sigh, sounds like your baby is sick and needs a vet. :(

Poor Edgar. So young to be sick and thin.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
doesn't sound good at all & I hate to say it but what you are describing sounds like something I went through with some young ones that didn't make it

there was never any signs of respiratory distress but there was a hint of a tick-tick-tick sound (almost like a mechanical watch) I have discussed this with numerous people since the vet that I had contact with at that time could not diagnose the issue & the cost of a necropsy is something that is simply not in the budget when the animal has already passed.

After many conversations with many people, one person I know from a local pet store that I do business with said he has seen this a many times with the rats that come in... he called it a failure to thrive condition & said it wasn't treatable, that it is one of those unfortunate things that you encounter with a delicate life. He went so far as to suggest his suspicion of it being a developmental condition... that the lungs were somehow not keeping in pace with the growth of the rat. It sounds pretty logical.

There really isn't anything I can say that is positive but I felt it was necessary to at least share this because if this ends badly it is most likely not anything that you did wrong.

If you do have the means to get this rat to a vet, by all means do it because not one of us here can do anything to truly help you make this get all better. All we can share is our well wishes & positive thoughts to you & your sick little one.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Aww, poor Edgar! Definitely time for a vet visit :(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, calling the vet asap tomorrow. The clicking is kind of mechanical watchish and sounds just like what you're describing. What a sad thing :(

I'm so worried. I'm checking on him every quarter of an hour, he's definitely getting chirpier but still lethargic.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Phobie said:
Yep, calling the vet asap tomorrow. The clicking is kind of mechanical watchish and sounds just like what you're describing. What a sad thing :(

I'm so worried. I'm checking on him every quarter of an hour, he's definitely getting chirpier but still lethargic.
Any updates ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts