Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put my boys together and they're getting along great, i just got Edgar (the little one) out and he's SO thin. I get him out every day but hadn't noticed before. I can feel his spine and see his ribs almost. His hair also looks a little thin. I'm feeding him lots and making sure he eats now, as far as i can see, they eat well together in the cage.

Help :(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: Skinny rat, need help

What exactly are you feeding him?

Considering the fact that you just introduced him to another rat and they're now living together, I wonder if the other rat isn't allowing him to eat? Some overly-dominant rats do that.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They're both eating lab blocks, fruit and veggies etc. I've seen him eating, when he's in the cage, but its a possibilty... Hm. Come to think of it, I'm SURE he eats enough in the cage.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

What brand of lab blocks are they? If he's eating and not gaining weight, something might be internally wrong with him, though I doubt it's that serious. Maybe try making up a batch of Suebee's Mix to feed along with the lab blocks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ok I'll try that, thanks. They're Pets at Home multivitamin Rat Nuggets, they seem to be pretty good for Addo, but I'll make up the mix too!

I've just noticed a couple of cuts on Edgar which leads me to believe maybe they've been scrapping, all in all not a good situation so I've put Edgar in the other cage for now to see if he's eating.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Cuts or scabs? If he's got buggies that may be another reason he's thin...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize you were in the UK! In that case, google the Shunamite Diet, which is the UK form of Suebee's.

Personally, I would try keeping him in a separate cage, on the same diet. Do this for about a week or two, and if he gains weight, you know it's because of the other boy causing him problems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I made up the slightly smaller cage for him, it's very smushy and comfy, and I put it near the radiator. He's SO thin, if I stroke down his back (he's very cuddly), when I get to just below his middle, towards his back legs, i can literally almost touch my fingers together through his stomach! He's very sluggish and sleepy. Oh life.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Maybe if he's that thin and lethargic you should take him to the vet ): Poor guy.

And maybe feed him a supplement of some sort, like ensure or veggitable baby food to make sure he is eating something. Check his teeth to make sure they aren't overgrown or misaligned.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have promised him that if he doesn't put a bit of weight on and get a bit happier in a couple of days that i will take him at the weekend, to the vet. Poor baby.

In the past couple of hours since I first noticed, he's eaten a rat nugget, a little bit of cheese and some soy milk with honey! He seems to be a little bit perkier since then so I've got my fingers crossed. He's such a cuddly little thing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Baby food is also a huge hit with sickly rats :) Cheese or other dairy products might not be a good idea currently, since animals really aren't made to eat that kind of stuff. Oatmeal (made with soy milk) is a great treat.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Oooh! Oatmeal! I hadn't thought of that...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Don't get the packets, though! Those contain a ton of sugar. I like to use organic baby oatmeals/cereals :)

·
Registered
520 Posts

True! I don't even eat those... (I'm diabetic)... but I might not have thought about it for them. At the vet hospital where I work, we use baby food/baby oatmeal/baby turkey sticks for EVERYTHING. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here are some pictures, you can't really see how skinny he is when he's in a little ball so I put my fingers gently around the thinnest part of him just to illustrate when I mean about him being boney.

I haven't noticed anymore little cuts, only one on the neck which looks suspiciously like a claw mark (Addo, I'm looking at you...)

Not a great picture, turned the flash off and didn't want to stress him out any more.

Thinning of the fur

more thinning of the fur

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh wow, he definitely looks sickly :( I'd take him to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, will phone first thing tomorrow and sort it out. Thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts