Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Rory (a neutered male) for about 8 months now, he's about 1 year old, and he's never been particularly fond of getting picked up. When he's in a comfy spot (like a cage corner, a hammock, or on my lap under a blanket) he is very happy to be touched and will brux and boggle forever. But when I try to pick him up (most of the time) he will sprint, wriggle, and squeak to avoid my hands. He will take food from me, cautiously, and greets me when I walk into the room. I've been mostly letting him be, petting him every day and picking him up occasionally, but his cagemate went over the rainbow bridge 3 days ago. She was much more social and he would follow her lead with pretty much everything. He has accepted that she's gone, but it's only been a few days and I'm not sure what will happen from here.

I've been spending a few hours with him every day since she passed so as to prevent him from feeling isolated, but he is still skittish. He bit me for the first time last night when my hand was under the blanket with him, and I'm still not quite sure what caused it but he hasn't tried anything since. I am home most of the time right now, but am looking for a job so I am not always going to be home with him all day. He is happy on his own, but I'm scared that he will get depressed once I am no longer able to be with him all the time. I would happily get him a friend, but I'm not sure where I will be living in the next couple of years and and am really not looking forward to saying the final goodbye to more ratties since Orbit's passing has been very difficult. I want to be fair to him, so I'm just not sure what the best route would be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts