Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading the topics in this forum is breaking my heart. I'm far too sensitive. I love these little creatures just a bit too much.

So a few months ago we moved the cage from a room that was quiet and always low-lit, into my room which is noisier, has more traffic, frequent use of the room lights (on and off, so at night it might suddenly go from dark to bright frequently) and so forth. I am up late, usually till about 2am, so there is often light in the room till that time. There are also cats and dogs which can freely enter...they actually seem curious about the dog, but the more predatory cat makes them a bit nervous when she sits there and stares them down. Since then, I notice that the rats seem to try and sleep a lot more and are rarely in fully-active mode at night like the used to be. I assume they are trying to catch up on missed sleep. They are still not fully socialized, and can be skittish, although I am working very had to train them. When I do watch them trying to sleep, their eyes are almost never fully closed. They close their eyes partially, and that's usually how they are most of the day. I have seen no obvious ill effects as of yet, other than the increased number of hours per day they try to sleep and the less intense activity during the night.

Is this detrimental to their health in any significant way? They haven't changed eating habits, are pretty peppy between midnight and 2am when they seem to be "switched on", no obvious medical problems, etc. Of course when I am asleep I cannot be sure what their behavior is, but I'm a very light sleeper and if they were as rambunctious as they once were during the wee hours, I'm pretty sure it would have woken me up at least once.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I suspect they are starting to adjust there sleeping patterns to fit in around the times they are fed and played with. This is normal and its likley they will settle down. Rats are bi-ternal which means they have 2 main activity periods in a day, this is dawn and dusk in the wild, as they are the best and safest times to gather food. In our pet rats they move them to fit in with us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts