Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rats were joined at the hip. Slept in the same places, went for food at the same time. Played together...theyve recently had a new cage and have started spending alot of time on their own. One on the bottom tier and the other on the top tier. They sleep in different places and come out at different times. There's no signs of fighting or unrest. Is this normal? My previous males were inseparable! New ones are both males, about 10-12 weeks old. Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
My girls are sisters, litter mates. They are very rarely separate. BUT I do know that they do, occasionally spend time apart when sleeping. I do not claim to be an expert on rat behavior, but if there are no other issues, I do not think I would worry too much. Since they have a new home, maybe this is their way of getting to know the place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was considering, seing as the cage is soo big. Getting two more boys to join them. But with them sleeping separate I don't know if this is a good idea. I know rats are better in a bigger group. But don't know if that will help mine. There are two rescue rats a couple of months older that I have seen, but not so sure....

·
Registered
368 Posts
I do not come here as much any more, but if Rat Daddy still comes a lot he is really good at advice. Do your rats still spend time together? Or are they always apart now? As for adding more rats, are you ready to move some into a different cage if they do not all get along?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
More rats may help if the brothers just have different personalities and a big cage means time apart; but it doesn't sound like cage disharmony.

If your in the Us I would also look at other things that may have changed. With winter coming and frigid temps, I've been running the heat higher and so my lot all broke off either alone or in separate piles -- it's too hot for them to sleep in a giant pile together (but too cold for their human!!).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They still spend time together and when I have them out they cuddle together. But break off in the cage sometimes. But that would make sense. They have wooden houses they sleep in and it must get quite warm in there with both curled up and they have plenty of bedding. The cage they are in 'savic royal suite 95' cab be split into two cages and I have a spare cage in the loft that the other rats were in originally. What are the chances of them not getting on/ fighting?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If they are intact, they may be starting to mature a bit, hormones kicking in, as well.

As long as you don't see any signs of conflict, any signs of health issues, and both are eating and drinking well, and behaving normally otherwise, it's likely just a function of the suggestions above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts