Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this will be my first post on this section of the forum.

Well I have five rats and after giving them a bath, I noticed one of them was sliced open on her side. It was about a 3/4" slice and it was spread wide open. I'm not sure if I was looking at her internal organs or the very bottom layer of skin, but it wasn't pretty. However, there was very little blood.

Not knowing what to do, and no vets in the area. I was forced to play doctor. We didn't want to stitch her up unless it was a necessity because we didn't have anything to sedate her with. So at first, we just put medical tape around her to keep her from clawing at it and making it worse. The following day, we opened the bandage back up and this time were ready with supplies to do the doctor work but when we pulled the tape off with hair attached, the wound was closed.. We drenched the area in peroxide and then anticeptic. We then reapplied the tape and put her back in the hospital tank where she is eating and drinking like normal.

So is everything fine, or should I try and find a vet?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rats are amazing at healing. One of my boys had a deep wound from a fight... It was horrid. We tended to it, and 2 days later, it was gone without a trace.

Watch for infection, but it sounds fine.

I, personally, wouldn't recommend ever stitching up a rat or sedating one without the proper training. You may actually do more harm than good. :(

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
well i certainly hope you were kidding about stitching your rat up yourself without sedation. if you weren't, then i'll just say: DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT THAT. honestly. :roll:

anyway, i would say that if the wound looks good, you're in the clear. mostly it's just keeping the rat from picking at the wound, and the tape seems like a great idea. i also wouldn't use peroxide on an open wound again because it works by killing *all* cells, and it's not good for a large open wound, especially if you think there was the possibility that you were looking at guts from that wound.

if something like that comes up again, it doesn't hurt to post a question about what you should do *before* you start poking and taping your rat. you'll usually get a reply within an hour or two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts