Rat Forum banner

Slight Myco Flair up?

979 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Night 
#1 ·
Betty has a little (very little) porphyrin build up around her nose that I think might be from lining her entire cage floor with Carefresh (it used to just be in the corner litterpan). I've been giving her dark chocolate, and plan on putting her in a steamy room nightly instead of weekly, but should I also take her into the vet and get her on some antibiotics? She's only going to be in this cage for about 3 more weeks before I switch her over to a FN. I also bought some Carefresh Ultra, which seems to be less dusty and will switch her over to that tomorrow. The only other thing that has changed that that her window isn't open as much any more (it's getting to cold), so she's not getting as much fresh air. She is still behaving normally and eating tons like she always does!

#2 ·
It could be the change in weather... I know it is common for humans to snuffle up with weather changes... I have even noticed it with other animals. You might want to look for a place in the room that doesn't have a draft & make sure that you aren't using any smell-good products in the same room (i.e. candles, air freshners, heavy smelling fabric softners, perfums, hair spray, etc)

The carefresh could very likely be the culprit. Some people have success & swear by it & many others discontinue using it because of just this problem. I switched to Aspen from Carefresh because of this very reason. My hairless rats sneezed their heads off with the stuff. I use Aspen now... but there is a drawback with that as well, the hairless gets it is her eyes from time to time.

I have one friend who has switched over to Yesterdays News completely now.

Those seem to be the top three favs. If you stick with the carefresh it might take a little time for your rat to adjust to it. If you want to investigate it for sure, buy a different bedding (The Aspen or Yesterday's News) & give it 2 weeks to a month on each one.

Now on the other hand... if the rat is sneezing like crazy & has considerable discharge & they don't seem to be thriving, by all means get them to the vet.

#3 ·
Carefresh sometimes wrecks havoc on rats' sensitive respiratory system. Personally, I'd never use it with rats. Try switching Betty to only fleece/towels and see if that clears up her porphyrin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.