Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2 older boys from a rescue a while ago. I was trying to get the boys fixed to put them in the cage with the girls, but was convinced (rightly) that since the girls were younger and neutering boys is harder than spaying girls I should get the girls done instead. Also, it helps with tumors. Anyway, it's been a few weeks of email and phone tag and I've only just finally gotten some answers about getting the girls spayed. Of course I was not informed at the beginning of all this that the vet that they want me to take the girls to is about 1 1/2 hours away (since I don't have a car) and doesn't do surgeries on the weekends. I'm in between jobs right now, otherwise it would never happen - but the whole rigamaroll of this process has really put me off of ever getting rats from a rescue again. I appreciate their help since not many vets are actually good with small animals (and my girls current vet would charge $130 for a spay where the one that's 1 1/2 hours away charges $50) - but AAARRRGGGG! I am just so frustrated by all this. They know where I live in relation to this other vet and that I don't have a car, so why didn't they tell me this? Also, I live in Vancouver so if any of you that are reading this also live in Vancouver and know of a good Vet that would do a spay for under $80 I would appreciate it. Sorry about the long post I really needed to rant.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The vet told you that spaying the female rats would be *easier* than neutering the male ones?? Hmmm... I had asked my exotics vet about that a few days ago, and she told me the exact opposite! She said that performing a spay on a female rat isn't commonly done, that its a very invasive, extensive, difficult surgery. She said that she has done male neuters on rats but never a spay.

Can you ask around and double-check that spays are easier than neuters? I don't know about that?!

Deb

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'll do that. I remember checking how much it was to do neuters before I got the boys but now I can't remember how much it was. If it's less expensive then it's the boys that will be getting done. I was a little worried since the boys are older and may not pull through the surgery as well as the girls might since they are younger. Also everyone says that spaying helps with mammary tumors, but I did get these girls from a breeder specifically because she breeds from tumor free lines. Ahh well - I'll just have to see.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Spaying is common at some vets. ;) Many rat owners routinely spay, neuter, or do both. We've had more rats spayed than neutered, so far, with our rescue. I know *some* vets would rather not spay at all, however. It's a per-vet sort of deal. Neutering is more invasive *than other animals* (like dogs), with rats. Perhaps that's what they meant? But certainly not less invasive than a spay.

That said, please don't judge all rescues by one! Each is different.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I know. I am just very frustrated by it all. Not only the entire beat about the bush attitude, but also the fact that the 2 boys came to me with lice, terrible coats and one of them seems far too skinny. I wish that there were more rescues around me but there isn't. I want to help out with them when I can because I want to make more ratties lives nice and comfortable but I worry that if I do then they may not hold up their end of the bargain. If a foster rat gets sick the rescue is supposed to pay for vet care but with the way they operate you might see some reimbursement months later if at all. Plus the breeder that I got my girls from is shutting down - so that's one more reliable source gone. :(

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeowch... Doesn't sound like a great rescue! :( I'm sorry about your experience... Canada needs more rescues. Heh, eventually, we're hoping to move to Canada (and Rattie Love Rescue will "move" with us!!), but I know there's a lot of need for it there. That said, there's no excuse for a bad rescue. :( We treat all rats that come into our rescue for parasites as a safeguard, as many others do... It's really the best idea (given how many actually are surrendered with mites, lice, etc). I wonder if they're in that condition from being surrendered and then being adopted right out, or if these conditions came about at the rescue? :( Either way, not good.

You may want to check out Pet Rats Canada, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hope u get a better deal / situation
Jess x

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kimmiekins PMed me asking the name of the rescue. I'm posting my reply here since I want to say most of the same stuff - They are called *****. It's not that they are a bad rescue, they just seem unorganized at times. They do care for the rats (in the case of my 2 boys I think it was more the home they were kept in than a reflection on the rescue, the lady who runs the rescue gave me the treatment for lice for free since she felt so bad that they were given to me like that). I also understand some of the delays with getting my girls spayed. There is a vet tech who keeps her rats there when she is working and there are concerns of my rats catching something. I'd hate to totally demonize them. The breeder who I got my rats from is part of the rescue and is a fantastic lady. Looking back on things and reading the two emails that I got from the founder of the rescue, I'm pretty sure that most of what has happened can be directly linked to the foster lady of my two boys. She was the one who told me that I should go through the other lady to get the girls spayed - but with out telling me anything to start with. She should have told me where the vets was and informed me that these things can take a while to arrange. I was kind of left hanging and was very frustrated about that. Anyways, sorry for the long reply I just felt that some explanation was needed Embarassed

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyway. I hoped to clear some stuff up (see previous post as well). Yes, it's probably not the best rescue but they are doing all that they can. The people seem very widespread and it's hard to keep track of everyone. Plus as a new member to the rattie way of life I think that they forgot that I don't know quite everything yet (especially about their rescue :p ) I am simply taking this as a learning experience and it's convinced me even more that I need to get involved in rescues. I may be a bit new but I know the kind of home I can give and the support I can give to others. Really, it's just made me want to get involved with them and see if I can help make sure that these type of things don't happen to others. I hope you all agree that this is a positive decision, but I of course want your feedback and ideas. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read my horrendously long posts <3

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh boy, do I know all about fosters turning out not to be the best! That's completely understandable. :) You've got a good outlook on it - as a rescue owner, I gotta thank you for that. Sadly, no matter how we educate our volunteers, and screen them... Not always the best and sometimes we find that out after there's been something like this.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty much the attitude that the founder of this rescue has. She was quite excited when I told her that I am looking to help out in the future :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
As a vet student, I can tell you that it's much more difficult to do a spay than a neuter... it's a lot more difficult to ligate the blood vessels of the uterus than the testes.

As for the price, those are actually great prices quoted. My stupid exotics vet that I work with quoted me at $400 per spay! The other vets I spoke to said I should expect to pay "a couple hundred" per spay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts