Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've discovered some "rashes" on my body and I wonder if it's somehow related to my new rats.

They're red patches about the size of a nickel and they're kind of dry and about as itchy as a bug bite, and I have five of them (arm, hand knee, neck, side). It looks sort of like ringworm (which my sister had several years ago), but not ring shaped, just patches. I live in the city, haven't been diagnosed with any skin conditions (yet), and I don't have any diseases.

I read that some people get rashes from their rats, especially from the urine, but I'm less inclined to think it's that.

Terrance also has a spot on his side that is missing hair.

Do rats have/can have parasitic or fungal diseases like ringworm that are communicable to humans? And if it's not FROM my rats, and say, it is communicable to other humans, is it possible to give to my rats?

I'm not going to be able to go to the doctor until, at least, Friday, so should I handle them in the mean time?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe ringworm can be transmitted between people and rats, but I'm not 100% certain.

Is there anything else you could have come in contact with that would cause a reaction? Anything new or unusual for you? Have the rats been on all of those places where you're experiencing a rash?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Macabri said:
I believe ringworm can be transmitted between people and rats, but I'm not 100% certain.
Rats and humans can transmit ringworm, yes.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
The patches do not always look like rings especially when they are smaller. It definitely sounds like you and your rats have ringworm and you need to be treated. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm currently dealing with this as well. I have around 6 patches on me, which started showing up a few weeks ago and new ones keep popping up, but the newer ones don't look like ringworm at all. Since your rat has a patch of fur missing, it sounds like he might have ringworm.
Try treating it with an antifungal cream like Lotrimin or anything that says it treats jock itch until you can get to the doctor. I believe one of the forum members told me that you can also treat the rat with the cream but I'm not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts