Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to buy a rat at the petshop (not the usual one I go to they didn't have any males) - They had 4 rabbits and 2 guinnie pigs in a tank about 4 feet by 2 feet and they hardly had any room to run around - Is that considered as cruel? I baught a new cage the same day and they had a cheek to tell me they thought it was too small which it wasn't, they're money grabbing b******s wanting to me spend more. They also had snakes in what looked like sandwhich containers curled around inside.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Those enclosures do sound too small, but I'm not sure what the pet store laws are - I've heard they're pretty bad.

If I saw that in a pet store near me, I'd take it up with the manager, and if I still wasn't satisfied I'd talk to a local humane society and have them look into it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
they had the rabbits and guinea pigs all together? that doesn't sound like a good idea to me... even a young rabbit can hurt a guinea pig when no one's watching closely.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The guneia pigs and rabbits together is a bad idea. I would report them on just that. Intermixing species in such close enclosures sounds like animal cruelity to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, really? I always thought this was a commen thing (forguiniepigs and rabbits to live together) - they do this in the well known pet sop here to, they have large runs though. I might make a phone call or something, I don't like the way they were packed together in stupid little tank, it's not fair on them, they might not get sold for a long time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is pretty cruel. rabbits and guinea pigs should not be mixed in the pet shop b/c fom what it sounds like, they obvi dont pay enough attention to them to observe and watch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chrisstrikeagain said:
That is pretty cruel. rabbits and guinea pigs should not be mixed in the pet shop b/c fom what it sounds like, they obvi dont pay enough attention to them to observe and watch.
They had 3 layers of tanks and the birds and chipmunks at the top, rats and gerbels at the middle and the rabbits were at the bottom, you had to crouch down just to see them. You should atually see inside the shop, they've got cages pilled up everywhere, toys and food all bundeled up - there was no room to wing a cat! Wasn't very organised at All.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A pet shop in my old down kept turtles, rabbits, & g-pigs in the same "tank" a nice big tank but still. You know?

·
Registered
489 Posts
intermixing is conveniant and looks nice and peacefull but shouldnt be done... teenzie, they sold chipmunks??????? and birds were in a tank!?? am i readin this wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chrisstrikeagain said:
intermixing is conveniant and looks nice and peacefull but shouldnt be done... teenzie, they sold chipmunks??????? and birds were in a tank!?? am i readin this wrong.
No sorry, I ment they were in a cage at the top(Not together), there must have been about 100 little birds in one cage. I should sneak my video camera in and film it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuzzie said:
thay still sold chipmunks! that's like selling squirrels or wild rats!
I'm from the UK, probably different rules over in the US? I don't know for sure. They were running at the speed of light on a wheel. I think it was my brothers friend had a chipmunk when he was little and it escaped and ran up the side of the house and lost it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ah, well in the US, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell chipmunks as pets. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
thats bad. really, sneak pictures and report it. it'd be appriciated by all the silenced animals.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Urgh, it really ticks me off when pet stores keep rabbits and guinea pigs together. Already mentioned would be rabbits injuring a pig, but let obvious is that fact that pigs can get certain diseases from rabbits and pigs ABSOLUTELY need vitamin C in their diets and rabbit food does not have that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts