Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's opinion about Processed/store bought rat treats? I think the new cheese flavored Yogies look pretty sweet, literally they are probably high in sugar. Also are eggs good for rats? I saw a video (ratguru seems to have quite helpful videos) on treats, she said nothing about eggs. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I am against treats made for rats. Sadly most if not all of these are made from scary iffy ingredients.

An awesome treat is actually gerber baby snacks...these are made for human babies. So they have human grade ingredients and they are super cheap. Most are less then $2, and often on sale.
They make yogurt drops, puffs and other stuff.

Cheerios are a great snack as well. Again human grade so so much healthier and safer. And super crazy cheap. I get a huge box for less then $3.

The best yogurt treats are ones you make yourself. Buy some healthy yogurt, put little dots on a piece of parchment paper & freeze. My rats LOVE them. Super cheap and easy to make.

Eggs are a fine snack. Be careful with protein as they shouldnt have too much. But as an occasional treat they love them. Scrambled or you can hardboil them and give it shell and all. It is fun for them but be warned it is SUPER messy.

All treats should be in moderation ofcourse.

And don't forget veggies. Rats are often quite happy with healthy nums. Giving them fresh veggies are healthy and always a huge hit. And you can make it fun like pea fishing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aww, It's so disappointing that pet stores sell such horrible things. She actually did mention the Gerber baby snacks I think they look tasty, even for me. Thanks for you're help, I know some young or nursing rats would love eggs (Too bad I don't plan on breeding) And yeah I remember pea fishing :) I like the idea of a toilet paper tube pinata better though.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
She actually did mention the Gerber baby snacks I think they look tasty, even for me
I dont remember ever tasting the yogurt ones but once my niece and nephew were visiting & we were discussing how they are made for babies & so they wanted to try the puffs that look like cheetos. So we all tried them. They liked them but I thought they tasted like very very stale cheetos eh lol The rats sure love them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh lol, what flavor was that do you remember? It's kinda funny the gross stuff we feed our offspring but what can you do?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine love bananas and nuts. We buy organic banana chips and unsalted nuts for treats. We also have a bag of nuts still in the shell which we give them occasionally to help keep their teeth down. Some of the harder ones, especially walnuts, take some real effort to get into so it works well.

I bought some of those yogurt things a while back, but only gave them a few. They're not too keen on them and I like to avoid giving them processed crap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah that makes sense. So I was reading this book on fancy rats and it said they can't have peas because they expand in their stomach do you know if that is true?

·
Registered
994 Posts
yeah that makes sense. So I was reading this book on fancy rats and it said they can't have peas because they expand in their stomach do you know if that is true?
That doesn't sound right, alot of people on the forum give peas to their rats, including me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts