Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as mnost of you may be aware, on thursday evening I bought a grey husky baby girl. In the store she was healthy as I made the point of handling her and observing her for a while. As soon as we arrived home she started sneezing 8O At 1st I thought it was a response to my talking to her as it seemed everytime I spoke to her she power sneezed. But since then she is now constantly sneezing an the odd cough. she keeps rubbing her nose like its irritating her? her eyes, nose and ears are perfectly clear. I use shredded paper (from the school) as bedding and also that fluffy fibre pet bedding that says its ok for rats. After looking up and phoning pets at home it looks like its a allergic reaction. But to what? surely it cant be us. I dont use any sprays or scented stuff in front room at all as I keep my fish in there also. Could it be the paper?

Her over all appearance is great and she is very active. She was ok in the store and it only started when we bought her home.

Please any advice much appreiciated, im getting concerned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Change her environment. Take her out of the cage with the bedding and put her somewhere nowhere near it. Maybe even put her in a different room. If the sneezing subsides after a while (an hour or so maybe?) then it is probably either the bedding or something else in the room. I don't know why, but the shredded paper from school seems suspect to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would get recycled paper bedding from a pet store or something just because the shredded paper might be causing it. Or it could just be something from the pet store. A lot of time pet store ratties carry illnesses, and if this is the case you should take her to the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts