Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pet rat about 5 days ago from my local pet store. The next day I got another rat to keep her company.

I'm kind of concerned right now because one of my rats is sneezing. I read online that it could be because she's getting used to the new smells of the house, her new environment etc.

When I first got her I was using a wood shaving bedding but changed it just yesterday to a paper based bedding (same as care fresh). I don't know if the sneezing has reduced any, but she's as active as she always has been, if not more. She's drinking, eating, playing with the other rat and using her wheel also.

I'm also putting drops in their water with vitamins.

If anyone has any advice on what I could do to help the sneezing or if I'm just over reacting and she's just getting used to her environment, please comment. This is my first time owning rats so I'm super nervous whenever something that's out of the ordinary happens.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The sneezing could be from new environment, or the shavings could have irritated the respiratory tract. I would keep an eye on them for the next week , see if it clears up.. If sneezing becomes more persistent or is accompanied by other symptoms such as excessive porphyrin( red stuff around eyes and nose), noisy breathing, congestion, snotty sneezes, lethargy then further actions may be needed as it could turn into respiratory infection. Congrats on your new ratties...their adorable :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply! I noticed she had a little bit of discharge coming from her nose from time to time, but her sneezes seem to be dry.

I went to shoppers and got some Echinacea for her and put it on a piece of broccoli and she ate it. I also put it in their water so their immune system becomes stronger. Especially where the other rat isn't sneezing or anything.

Cleaned their cage out with pure vinegar then let it sit in hot water no it wouldn't smell strong and put the Kaytee brand of paper bedding.

Hopefully all of this will help. I read to do 2 weeks on the echinacea and 2 weeks off. I hope Ruby gets better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts