Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my rat on October 27th and the next day I got another rat to keep her company. She's been sneezing a lot and has had red stuff on her nose also. I started giving her pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (nasal and sinus decongestant relief) because I read online that it helps them. After I give it to her she sneezes for about 5 mins on and off and then she rests and the sneezes aren't as bad afterwards. I've been giving her this for about 4 days and have noticed a small difference. Although, I'm not here with her throughout the whole day. And today while giving her her medicine I noticed she had a lot of red stuff on her nose. Is this something I should be concerned about? She's still active when she's not resting. Using her wheel and she's grooming herself and drinking water. I haven't seen her eat that much but they do it more at night when I'm asleep anyways.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it!

· Registered
2,292 Posts
New home sneezes at first are common, but if it persists then it might be a problem. Listen to her lungs, is there any crackling/sputtering/etc? Sometimes mine will have little respiratory flair ups and I usually start with home remedies before jumping on meds. I've never heard of the stuff you're giving them, maybe someone else will know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.