Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scout has recently had a few sneezing fits after sniffing around in his food bowl. He'll sneeze 4 or so times in a row, and then be fine. He has no porphyrin, and his nose is dry. He acts perfectly normal other than these sneeze attacks.

Do you think he just gets a nose-ful of dust while his snuffling around in his bowl?

Panda, by the way, is not sneezing at all, but then again he doesn't root through the food bowl like Scout does.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
maybe he has allergies to some of his food, what are you feeding them? have you switched food lately? or bedding? do you remove old food that could have been peed on?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they're on half lab blocks and half mix.

and they eat ALL of their food by the end of the day (little piglets!) so there's nothing left to pee on. i doubt they would pee in their food bowl anyways; it's sacred to them, lol!

they live on towels, which i wash and change every 5 days (no drier sheets or scented stuff)

if it was a sickness, i'm sure Panda would be showing some signs of sneezles too, right?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Yeah if he only sneezes after putting his nose in the bowl I wouldn't worry.

You might want to change the towels a bit more often, since every 5 days on fabric is really pushing it. I found 3 days was good and 4 was okay. 5 days and it reeked. I was really sick at the time and had to leave it that long once.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If he only does it when he sticks his head in the food dish and you don't see any porphin its probably just dust from his food making him sneeze :)

Lab block can be very dusty, especially when your nearing the bottom of the bag.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lilspaz68 said:

You might want to change the towels a bit more often, since every 5 days on fabric is really pushing it. I found 3 days was good and 4 was okay. 5 days and it reeked. I was really sick at the time and had to leave it that long once.
they're very well litter trained - Scout even piddles in the box :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
BlueSkyy said:
lilspaz68 said:

they're very well litter trained - Scout even piddles in the box :D
You are one lucky ratowner!!! So I assume you change the litterbox often. Thats good then, you can disregard what I said previously :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts