Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two rats have developed a sneeze! I just got Kiwi 4 days ago and she started sneezing yesterday, also my rat Blueberry, who just had 14 babies Friday started sneezing last night. They are not in the same cage, but they were earlier this week because we didn't know Blueberry was pregnant, it was one of those fun pet store suprises.
The only symtom they have is sneezing but I am worried because Blueberry is nursing, the bedding is dust free, so I am wondering if it is a upper respitory infection?
I think I will take Kiwi to the vet Tuesday, but I don't want to seperate Blueberry from her babies yet.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Check the bedding. And also if you have anyother wood in the cage they can sometimes be allergic.

As for going to the vets..Ring them and ask their advice.

Its probably just a "stress sneeze" that new rats can often get. But it clears up very quickly with Baytril

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is it really not good for them if the air is to dry? I was thinking about buying a dehumidifier, but if it's not good for them then it is not going to hurt anything if I don't. I'd only buy a humidifier for them if it was really beneficial for them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Honestly, it depends on how dry or humid your house is. My house is so dry that water evaporates pretty quickly (just ask my roommate's fish!) I was getting a lot of nosebleeds because of how dry it was, too. When two of my girls started wheezing, I took them into the vet- and when I told him how old my house is, he determined that the cause was environmental. It all just depends on what kind of environment your rats are in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I should say my males are sneezing, my Females don't sneeze at all with the bedding. They are all very happy, There was one incident a week ago where my males were sneezing a lot after a bedding change, so I took them out and put them in the tub for a couple hours, after that they were fine. It's a non-particle scented bedding designs for small pets with sensitive respritory. I know from experience the wrong type of bedding can cause nose bleeds. One of my males had one nostral bleed but I think he hit his face on something. I can't recall what though lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
I saw Yesterday News in the store. I would have gotten it but because the Aspen chips are bigger, they don't get kicked out of the cage as often. In addition, I can buy a lot more Aspen for less money then I can of the yesterday News. I change the bedding often so my apartment does not smell and I couldn't do that with Yesterday News.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts