Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted my first rat!! I'll post pics up soon of him!

He's an orange looking guy, named him cheddar. A military person once owned him and was called to duty, which was why he was up for adoption.

Now I'm not sure if its because of certain environments, but when he goes around sniffing he sneezes---alot. I noticed, though, that when he is just in his little home he doesn't sneeze at all.

Another oddity, is that his head sways to the left when he just sits there and stares, thinks, or whatever may be going through his little mind.

Anything I should be concerned about?

I read about MRM, I think that's what its called. I'm hoping that is not the case ---shudders.

Is there a cure? The book a read said no, but I'm hoping its an older book.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sounds like he has ruby eyes which will cause the swaying. As far as the sneezes go how long have you had him? what is he kept on? what kind of cage is he in? My Jackson rat is a huffy rat and whenever he is out sniffing things he huffs LoL it is actually kinda cute there is no respitory issues just him being weird LoL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually, he has black eyes!

At the pet store I remember thinking that he sneezes. It appears right now that his sneezes are getting less and less. Can't tell right now... made the mistake of scaring the life out of him with my cat... didn't mean to! :(

I use a paper like bedding u can buy at petstore, the odor free one. His cage is a 200 dollar ferret cage. Not the huge metal ones, but one that has two levels with a tube that goes around the outside.

what do you mean what is he kept on? He's elevated off the floor with the cage i got.

Trying to figure out if he has that respititory desease or not because i want to get him a friend!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If he's orangey he's probably a fawn, which usually has ruby eyes. My avatar weaves almost constantly, unless he's just staring at you (or the treat. :lol: )

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Orangey like this?

This is a fawn, and fawns actually have ruby eyes not black (its a genetic thing tied with coat colour). Kyrie sways her whole front end to focus, she's a jittery, nervous rat with her bad eyesight.

Hopefully your boy has New Home Sneezies and they should subside a few days into your home. If he starts to crackle/wheeze/grunt/gurgle, become lethargic or have a hunched posture, lose interest in food, have excessive porphyrin (red fluid from eyes and nose) you have a sick rat who will need to go to a rat vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts