Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, Mokey started sneezing... first it was once an hour or so, but by the next day she was having sneezing fits that would last for 30-45 seconds straight. Boobers, her cage mate, also started to sneeze occasionally at about the same time. We immediately packed them up and set off to the vet who gave them a thorough checkup before telling us that they were healthy, and that the sneezing was most likely environmental. One of his recommendations was to get a wire cage (they were previously in a large fish tank with a wire top) which we've since done, and they've been in their new home for about a week.

We also gave the area they're in a thorough cleaning (though it wasn't dirty) to get any dust that might be bothering them.

My question is this: two weeks later, the sneezing has drastically improved... but it hasn't disappeared. She's happy and active, but obviously we'd like to make sure we do everything we can to keep her that way. I was just wondering if there were any thoughts or suggestions about things that could be irritating her, or things that you've found that your rats were sensitive to? Their food, treats, bedding and litter have all been consistent since we first got them 8-9 months ago.

We use Carefresh as their bedding on the bottom of the cage, and Yesterday's News as their litter... both unscented. They eat formulated lab blocks from the local specialty pet store, and for treats usually eat yogurt rat treats. Their litter is changed every 3 days, and their bedding every 6-7.

So... any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Any smokers in the house? Smoke can be extremely irritating to their lungs, as can air fresheners or any aerosols.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Which carefresh do you use? Plain, colored, or Ultra? I've heard of some rats having issues with plain... and rarer few with the others.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No smokers in the house... air fresheners is something I haven't thought of though. I think we have a Glade Plug-in type thing in the room next to them... I'll pull that out for a while just in case.

As for what type of Carefresh I use: I believe it's plain... or at least it doesn't say coloured on the bag, and there's nothing about it being coloured. I do have access to Ultra at the local pet store, so perhaps that would be something to try for a few weeks?

Thanks for the help guys.

On that note as well... the girls have a fleece blanket and a fleece hammock in their cage. When cleaning is it safe just to throw it in with the rest of the laundry? (i.e. is laundry detergent/fabric softener bad for rats)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just use peroxide and vinegar to wash my ratties linens, no fabric softener as the vinegar does a nice job of that. I even started doing my families clothes with the vinegar instead of fabric softener!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The plain is browny-gray colored... the colored is pink or purple or blue or such. :)

You could give the Ultra a go, perhaps. :)

I wash my rat's things in the washing machine, but I use a hypoallergenic detergent for everything I wash... and I usually don't use fabric softner. You can also throw in some vinegar, it's great for urine smell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts