Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I got a rat from a pet store about a year ago. She has had 2 or 3 cases of the sniffles + porphyrin around her nose over the year, and was treated with Enrofloxacin each time. Her last upper respiratory problem was about a month ago.

I moved to a different city a week ago and my poor ratty had to fly on an airplane. The vet told me before I left that she would probably have porphyrin around her nose for a few days after the trip because stress can cause that in rats. Sure enough, it lasted for a couple days.

Now its been a week since we got here and the porphyrin stains around her nose are almost completely gone. Although its not there anymore, she still sneezes a bit and sounds a little "slurpy" when she cleans her face. I took her to the vet again and they put her on Enrofloxacin just in case, but they thought it was just the stress of the trip.

My question is, Ive had two baby ratties in quarantine now for 2 weeks and the vet thinks my older girl just has the sneezes and sniffles due to stress. do i need to start the 3 week quarantine over anyway?

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't think you need to start over.
How are you quarantining them? It won't prevent anything, unless they are in separated airspaces. (Houses.)
I don't qtine, because if you read things you don't usually have to, in the UK. (I'm not sure why QHD.)
Don't pick on me, anybody, I'm saying what has been proven and is true.
I think the sniffles will be stress, maybe a little cold. Whereabouts are you?
Lots of people in colder countries have rats with a slight cold; so maybe it's just the coldness in the air, that pinch.
I'm not sure what else you can do. Don't start qtine again but don't put them together before she's healed. (As in; wait 'till it gets better.)
I thought they'd have given you baytril, though..:?
I don't think it matters..?
But she might have an upper resp. infection or something, & maybe she'll need baytril.
:p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in washington state, u.s.

the ratty babies are indeed in another home for their quarantine so they have had separate airspaces.

i really hope i dont need to start over because she doesnt seem sick, just sneezes once in a while... and shes been so lonely since her partner in crime passed away. I guess i'll call the vet again and see what she thinks as well. I dont want to risk giving something to the babies so hopefully it'll all work out one way or another

1 - 3 of 3 Posts