Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my first girl. She sneezed alot. She was treated with baytril and it seemed to clear up. However now ((10 months later)) IIt seems to be getting worse. When shes on baytril it clears up but the day after she comes off. Its worse than before. What can i do ? Do i need to seperate her from the other girl ?

As an update she is still sneezing and sniffling alot. And she is rather lethargic. Doesnt wanna come out and play anymore. Shes about 9/10 months old is that just her age ??

The other rat although not sneezing. Has picked up the lethargy, but more so. She doesnt even wanna run round her cage. Just sleeps all the time. Even if i get her favorite treat (stawberries) she wont move out of her hammock except to drink water. She is about a month younger.

They have both lost their appitite.

Im so worried about them

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: Sniffles and Sneezes

How long is she on the Baytril? Has she seen a vet again? She may need a longer set/a antibiotic combo to beat the uri.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

She goes to the vet every couple weeks. She been on baytril on and off for around 2 months now. Should i seperate her from the other ?i wouldnt want two sick rats

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

How long in a row, though? When she starts sneezing, how long is it given to her?

Did the vet say what it is? It sounds like myco, in which case there's no real reason for separation.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Via instructions from the vet. Shes on for 5 days then taken off for a couple days. Put back on if it continues.

And no he didnt say what it was

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

I would think that, if it obviously wasn't enough to give for 5 days, the medication ought to be increased in dosage or duration (ie. 14 days or similar). Else, all you're doing is increasing the drug resistance. But you'd have to talk to your vet about it.

Perhaps someone else here has had a similar situation and could give you their experience.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

5 days is about the time she would start to really improve then the baytril is stopped. Think of it like putting out a campfire. You think its out (no flame) but the coals are still smoldering. Then it flares up again and you have a fire out of control again.

Your girl needs at least 14 days of baytril...no stopping.

I have to ask how much is the dosage too? Was it twice a day? I have heard of 7 or 10 days on an antibiotic but never 5, just trying to figure out how much your vet knows. :(

See if you can print this up for your vet. Baytril is Enrofloxacin. The dosing is there as well as the recommended amount of times to keep them on it.

14-30 days is normal.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks all you guys. lilspaz68 , The dosage was 2 mills a day in the water. Then cause she stopped drinking he said to syringe it. So it was 2 times a day 1 mill each time.

The 7/10 day thing might be different im in the UK so maybe they treat it different ??

As an update she is still sneezing and sniffling alot. And she is rather lethargic. Doesnt wanna come out and play anymore. Shes about 9/10 months old is that just her age ??

The other rat although not sneezing. Has picked up the lethargy, but more so. She doesnt even wanna run round her cage. Just sleeps all the time. Even if i get her favorite treat (stawberries) she wont move out of her hammock except to drink water. She is about a month younger.

They have both lost their appitite.

Im so worried about them

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Sniffles and Sneezes [UPDATE] More info and advice neede

As for the baytril. The vet has ((of his own accord lol)) now moved it up to a 7 day treatment

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Sniffles and Sneezes [UPDATE] More info and advice neede

I think it's definitely time to find a new vet. Seven days is still nowhere near enough. Besides that your vet recommended dosing in the water? That isn't recommended for many reasons, one of which you already discovered. Dosing in the water is inaccurate and can change the taste of the water, causing the rat to become dehydrated from not drinking.

Find yourself a more experienced rat vet and take them both in since the other rat is showing signs of illness too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts