Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Makk - my newest rat from my girlfriends friend - who no longer wanted him because of the noise he made - there was another rat with him, but apparently makk never got handled because of the noise he made- which is why he was being given away.

so i adopted him.

the noise he makes is like a snuffling - it sounds like hes breathing through a load of snot basicly, and hes sneezing etc. But hes being doing this for at least 10 months.

i put him in QT and took him to the vets as soon as i could
he has apparently been making this noise since his former owners adopted him from 'pets at home' (in my views a really bad pet shop)last january.

the vet babbled on for a while - i diddnt really take much on, but basicly an infection in the respiratory system and gave him an injection

the course of antibiotics was over a week, every other day and consisted of three injections in all

nothing changed.

the vet said it was chronic, and there was nothing more he could do. he presumes it some sort of gland problem within the respiritory system thats infected or something. he says its not infectious - so he can go with my others (which he now has been for a few weeks)

im not sure if he knew what he was talking about for sure - it could of just been me not listening properly, or the fact he has a strong scottish accent and its hard to understand.

i was satisfied with his answer at first but now im not sure

is there anyone on here that has had a rat with same problem?
please give me info and advise

he seems perfectly fine - the noise mes making just worries me

thats the lil guy Makk = ]

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Do me a big favour and listen to your cutie Makk's lungs. If you know how to do rat phone already then do that. If not pick up rat and hold him against your ear like a phone reciever so his sides (lungs) are pressed against your ear. Listen for any crackling, wheezing, gurgling sounds from his lungs. do both sides. If you hear a whoosh of him breathing adn the thud of his heart and snuffling but no real sounds from the lungs he most likely doesn't have an infection and may just have allergies. I have heard of snuffly rats clearing up with benadryl. I have tried it with my snuffler but of course it does nothing for her :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts