Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

A few weeks ago, I returned from a night at friends house, and my rat Paris acting really strange, very lethargic and I knew she just didn't feel right. She was sneezing a lot, and had discharge comming from her eyes. Her lymphnodes weren't swollen though. I know she had a cold though. I comforted her as much as possible. I didn't take her to the vet but seriously none for miles treat rats. Anyways, she started to loose weight.

Now she's over her cold, thank God! She's just so skinny though from her cold. She seems to be in pretty good spirits but I know it cant be healthy for her to be so thin!

Right now she is eating sunscription vita plus, but I plan on getting her the oxbow regal rat on thursday.

Will that be enough? Do you all know anything that I can give her to get her back to her normal weight?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Your rat didn't have a cold, she had a URI...she was lucky and recovered but her body is now weakened. All that fighting of the infection used up her body resources and she lost weight.

Good weight gainers are baby cereal, Ensure or Boost, a little olive oil a few times a week, avocado is a good fattening thing, starches can be good as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Watch carefully for any signs of a head tilt. I had my girls get a very minor URI that they were over in a day or two (with no lost weight) and two of them ended up with inner ear infections a week or two later, which are much harder and cost a lot more to treat then URIs. I will always treat my girls at the first sign of a URI in the future. If they do develop any sign of a head tilt, take them to the vet right away, as every hour can make the difference between a healable head tilt and a perminant head tile.

Mine love ensure. You can also find Nutri Cal at the pet store, it has very concentrated calories and most animals seem to enjoy the taste.

Pink

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of you, thanks for the advice. I suspected a URI, but I wasn't sure. She seems to be over it now, but I'm searching all over the place for vets that will treat her, I think I'll take her in for checkup just to be safe. She seems happy and healthy now though.

Also thanks for the head tilt information, I'll be sure to be on the lookout.

I'm giving her grains along with her food. Also I decided to try the baby cereal, she really loves it. I can already tell that she is gaining her weight back.

I cannot thank you guys enough...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts