Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to share this story because I never thought the bond I had with my rats were quite this deep. I knew we had a bond but this was just incredible to me.
I had my boys out last night and I went into my bathroom, Charlie my overly curious/hyper boy always follows me. We had a house fire a few months back and part of the wall near my shower is missing. Unknown to me because my dad never mentioned it there is a HUGE GAPING HOLE under my shower that you cant see unless you lay on your belly.. Charlie took interest in the area where there is no wall and soon slipped under the shower mold. I thought he'd just come right back out. But after waiting and calling and listening it was obvious he wasn't there. I got a flashlight to investigate and looked under the shower mold to find a huge hole. My heart sank and I ran outside it was 11 at night and pitch black out.
I opened the crawl space to get under the house and shined my light around and saw Charlie looking up from where he'd fallen waaaayy in the back. There was no way I could fit in the crawl space so I called to him, He looked in my direction but being A red eyed fawn he cant actually see very well. He headed towards me and ziggzaged sometimes going the wrong way until I'd call him and he'd head back towards me. My boy came right to me. He's never been outside before, he fell a large distance for a rat, and he's half blind but he still came to me. I know some dogs who wont even do that!
I am so proud if Charlie and he is not allowed in the bathroom again until that wall is fixed.
I dont think I'll ever look at my little companions the same this has been a huge eye opener. I was convinced I was going to have to put a live trap under there to get him back.

But no my baby came right to me!

·
Registered
270 Posts
What a relief to see a happt end to this story! You have all the right to be proud of your pet! Probably everyone has this kind of scare at some point. In my case one girl found her way to the garrage, despite blocked doors and other obstacles. I eventually found her behid garbage can after a few minutes, and she was happily trotting towards me like nothing happened, apparently happy she had discovered a new world behind the door. Nevermind my near heart attack.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's amazing! I love hearing stories like this, they really are such clever little animals. I can't say I would trust mine to come back!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malarz oh my gosh it sounds like your girl really wanted to get out! Good thing you found her. I knew I'd go through something like this eventually I'm just glad it went well.

Adeliek I didn't think he'd come to me I thought he'd want to stay under the house and explore. I guess theres no way to tell until you're in that situation but I think we underestimate our bonds with our rats. I can say I'm glad I've taught my boys their names otherwise I would have been screwed. xD

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actually, I'm not surprised at all...

Sand Beach Vacation Fun Shore

(Fuzzy Rat walking at heel)

A well bonded rat doesn't run away, she follows you like a puppy.

Please note Fuzzy Rat was a true shoulder rat and very accustomed to being outdoors. My point aside... don't try this at home with an untrained rat that may panic and get lost or killed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rat Daddy Charlie is just like that in the house he follows me and my mom right at our heels where ever we go he's a very people orientated boy. Your Fussy rat is adorable did she like to swim too?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually, I'm not surprised at all...

View attachment 187810
(Fuzzy Rat walking at heel)

A well bonded rat doesn't run away, she follows you like a puppy.

Please note Fuzzy Rat was a true shoulder rat and very accustomed to being outdoors. My point aside... don't try this at home with an untrained rat that may panic and get lost or killed.
I love this pic!!!😊😊

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Although my daughter has dragged most of our rats into the lake at one time or another Fuzzy Rat was the only rat to ever jump in on her own....

She would sit on the shore then leap into the lake. She never just walked in. It looked like humans jumping through the breakers, even though the lake only had small waves. She would swim from person to person, climb up on people just floating on their inflatables and could even jump up the raft ladder. Her tail would go like a snake when she swam. It was truly something to see, but I only have one very low quality video of her doing it.

As a footnote the last time she actually jumped into the water was in the autumn of her first summer when she swam an end run around us to check something out on the neighbor's private property. Her second summer my daughter dragged her into the lake, but she only swam back to shore. My daughter also dragged other rats into the water including Max, and they were all excellent swimmers, but only Fuzzy Rat ever jumped in on her own. At the beach, Max dug a burrow under the lifeguard stand in the sand and hunkered down rather than chasing my daughter into the water.

It was that strange fearless quality that set Fuzzy Rat apart from all of the rest. Max pretty much has all of Fuzzy Rat's skill set, but not the personality.

I suppose I once thought that it was all a matter of training, but I've come to learn that some rats are just wired differently. I think it's a combination of having the right wiring, lots of experience and training and a whole lot of luck that makes a particular rat so very special.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think it's a combination of having the right wiring, lots of experience and training and a whole lot of luck that makes a particular rat so very special.[/QUOTE]

I think you right RatDaddy. It must be absolutely amazing having a rat like FuzzyRat. Precious in deed😊 My one boy, Rascal came right to me when I fetched them at the breeder. The first thing he did was come right up to my face and lick my nose. His a special one Rascal. Being a first time rat owner I must consider myself very, very lucky to have a rat like Rascal that was friendly, loving, and cuddling from the start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.