Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At lunch I ran by a pet store Ive never been in, to check food prices and look at toys. They were predominantly a bird store but advertised reptiles and other small pets.

Im so sorry I went in. The animals besides bird were kept in the back ina very small room, cage piled on top of one another.

They had over 35 mice in a 10 gallon.
Then there were 4 more 10 gallons with rats. The first had 9 hairless abbies. Tiny. Couldnt have been more than 3 weeks. Next cage had several ratties male and female mixed beautiful colors but 6 rats in each one, and then plastic tank smaller than a 10 gallon, no bedding and 8 rats in it.
There prices were cheap $4.99 on all, I m assuming they priimarily sold as feeders. I wanted so bad to take them all home with me. Especially the hairless, no one else around here has them. I thought about buying 4 and trying to care for them and adopt them out, but I noticed a few of the rats had watery eyes. Im so scared of the chance of diseases and myco bacteria that I couldnt do it. BUt my heart brakes and goes out to these little guys. If I thought it was safe I definately would have gotten another hairless male for Yoda to play with.

Event he mice they had were beautiful marked, not the all white ones, there fate is so sad

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
REPORT THEM.

The ASPCA or something would have to look into their situations.

Write and tell them they're overcrowded (obviously), ill (again, obviously), cruel (keeping females constantly pregnant by keeping them with males, no bedding, etc.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree report them immediately no animal should be kept like that and it is against the law to sell them as live food for other exotic animals!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanst sure if reporting them would do any good. Is it against tha law to sell live animals as feeders in the US? Most stores do so, they just dont keep them in the open. I knew it didnt seem right.

It still really puzzles me how they had more varietys and colors than any other place Ive seen.

If there is not a local SPCA would I call the Humane Society?

I would really like to go get the hairless babies, but I cant afford a vet visit or risking my ratties getting a repirtory infection or anything else.

Barbiie said:
I agree report them immediately no animal should be kept like that and it is against the law to sell them as live food for other exotic animals!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm not sure if selling as feeders is legal, I rather doubt it is, but even so he could just say they're for pets.

Certainly, try the humane society, or something.

If they're found in violation they could be shut down.

As for the variety, they probably just have a prolific breeder with some nice colors... If they're pretty it means some pet owner might take one or two as well, kinda doubles their chances of selling them quickly, I suppose.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Small animals for feeders are legal where I live. They just don't have you fill out the "as a pet" warranty thingie when you say it's for a pet...

So in short, I think it is legal to sell small animals as feeders in most places (in the US), it is when they are specifically sold as pets are there more obligations.

·
Registered
527 Posts
aw, that's so sad.
poor babies. :[
i hope the petstore owner gives them better conditions soon..whether they're feeders or not. they are still living creatures!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.