Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Recently I've been reading how rats will pee to not only mark their territory, but to show that they are comfortable or love something/someone. Some of you have mentioned that if your rats pee on you it can show they are welcoming and accepting you into their colony as one of them.

Well I've had my sweet girl Luna for a month or two now and whenever I've taken her out for free range time in her playpen or brought her out to sit on my shoulders/head for a bit she has NEVER, not even once, peed or pooped on the floor or me (she is not potty trained yet either, I haven't even bought the litter box yet). I previously thought that her not going potty on me and the floor was a good thing, and that it may even help with teaching her to be potty trained easier. But after reading some responses on it, and that it can mean they love you, does this mean she may not accept me as part of her family or love me?

I do everything I can to make her happy. Between spending hundreds of dollars on her for a big cage, toys, organic healthy food, fuzzy comfy hammocks and cage accessories, medicine, and much more including giving her love, playing with her, cleaning her cage, and sharing my fruits and veggies with her, am I still not doing enough? Or are some rats just different with marking their territory?

I understand that this is a pretty weird and random question, but I just thought I'd give it a shot and ask on here to see what you guys thought about it.

Thank you for any responses and help I may get, I really appreciate it!
Just curious as to how that whole thing works and if she doesn't think of me as family or anything, but rather just a food dispenser and cage cleaner who plays with her to, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The idea of rats peeing to say they love and see something as part of the family os very much a human interpritation. Rats mark (quite different from proper urination) things to add there "informaiton" and "ownership" to it. The urge to do this tends to depend on how much the rat wants to establish that. This has a lot to do with where they are in the heirachy and there interest in being higher up. A very low ranking submissive rat who doesnt want to take part in heirachy games is less likley to mark then one that is more interested. They also choose to mark more on things that hold that smell better or things that compete in there interpritation of smell, so smooth surfaces are good for holding smell, skin and rubber is kind of competition as it has its own smell, a place a previous rat has marked is also fair game. They do mark each other too, but not all rats choose to do it, its very much linked to that individuals behaviour. Your girl is probablyvery content with her place in life and not interested in advertising her presence and status to everyone else.

Random fact: did you know that marking urine contains different and more concentrated chemicals than normal urination. And rats sniff it differently, they sniff much deeper to focus the smell into a different part of there nose thats designed to interprit these things

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
but to show that they are comfortable or love something/someone. Some of you have mentioned that if your rats pee on you it can show they are welcoming and accepting you into their colony as one of them.
I do not believe that to be true at all. I think it is something cute people say, I've said it myself when my nephew got peed on by my boy. Aww that means he loves you. But it really doesn't. It is like idk an old wife's tale that gets told & perhaps ppl believe it as true now idk...

But noooo I have a deep loving bond with quite alot of my rats, rats I have had since birth that run to me the moment they see me, snuggle up with me and give me baths bruxing all day while I hold them. I do not get peed on.

I also have no interest in being peed on... ever. Besides itty bitty babies I really do not get peed on like almost ever. I often snuggle my boys and do shoulder rides to the girls. Only one of my boys is much of a marker even and he is much more likely to pee on things rather then me.

Rats will pee/poop when they get nervous or scared though. The moment they get spooked potty everywhere lol. So it is a very good thing that she is not going potty on u.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh okay, well that's pretty interesting! I wasn't sure how they marked their territory or claimed things/people so this is all good information.

Thank you both! I to have no interest in being peed on, but I wasn't sure if it meant a good thing if it did happen or not.
Thanks for the information and help though, I love learning new things about rats. Whether it's random facts or questions I've thought of, so I appreciate it!! :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Back in July, my daughter put Max on a rail fence and let her go off and explore while she got distracted, Cloud being fat and clumsy tried to climb on a branch and fell into the edge of a lagoon, read as tall grass marsh... A little girl claimed that she saw Cloud hiking between the reeds to were I had been but I waited for her and she didn't come out of the tall grass, then we went searching for nearly an hour... So just in case you don't realize this... you actually can't find a rat in a marsh... So finally after an hour or so, I went back to the place where Cloud had fallen into the marsh and there she was hunkered down waiting for a rescue.

This photo was taken a few minutes after we recovered her.
Marsupial Rat Ferret Muridae Grass
And that's her "I really want to go home before you lose me again" look...

Most rats that you take outdoors will immediately mark the spot you put them down and if they get lost or stressed, or rather you lose them, all you have to do is wait for them to come back to that very spot... Fuzzy Rat who was by far our most intrepid explorer would mark me as soon as I hit the front door with her and always right after I got out of the shower... really annoying to be honest, but rather than go back to the spot we put her down she would come right to us. So rats do mark some place, something or someone they want to find again.

Rats that we've raised that have spent most of their time indoors tend to mark us less, if at all.

Lastly, I tend to believe that male wild rats dribble as they go. When Fuzzy Rat got on a scent trail of a male rat she would follow it like the yellow brick road, she would follow it around like a blood hound on a scent... and you could actually see exactly where the wild rat had gone during it's most recent outing.... as you know, rats don't forage in straight lines and it was often funny to watch her on a scent trail running around in circles... well to a point... then inevitably the trail would lead to some bushes or hiding places and we had to be really fast to catch her before she found her intended date... I'm sure she would have come back... but a litter of half wild babies wouldn't have made our life any easier.

So marking is very important to rats, but it isn't necessarily a sign of love, it's more like setting way points on a marine GPS or leaving road signs for other rats to follow or crumbs to find your way home... or a way to find someone you want to get back to.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, that picture is so cute! Is she a dumbo rat? Her ears look lower and wider.

I wasn't aware they marked places so they know where they've been though, that's a pretty smart way of determing where they have and haven't explored yet when you think about it :) It must help them a lot when they get lost in a big or well covered area!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
First of all, I just realized that I interchanged Max and Cloud's name... so I suppose I'm officially going senile.... as I think some folks have suspected all along...

Second, yes Cloud is a dumbo rex with long, super soft fur... she really looks and feels like a powder puff. When she was about 7 months old a patch of her hair fell out, so perhaps something more than a simple dumbo rex? And yes her ears really are on complete opposite sides of her head. There's just about no way anyone can resist squishing her... she's totally snugable. She's also gifted with a Thorazine personality... nothing upsets her and nothing bothers her, weebling along at heel outdoors, or Misty jumping up and down on her head or my daughter snuggling all over her, she puts up with everything that comes her way.

And yes, just about all rats we've trained outdoors will mark the spot they are put down... Amelia would make a huge puddle and when we would try and walk her at heel she would only stray so far from it and then dash back when the outdoors overwhelmed her. It's normal for just about all shoulder rats in training. The better shoulder rats will overcome their fear and learn to walk at heel, like Fuzzy Rat, Max or Cloud. They stay with their humans for safety. Amelia washed out of the program at the safe site... she would just go a hundred feet or so from her wet spot and then dash back to it and wait to be recovered, even though she was right next to us when she bolted back and waited there to be picked up.... and she really never got over that. She was also likely to panic in new places and never made it to being a shoulder rat... she only got to go out with us because we have a lot of experience handling rats outdoors...

Amelia was a beautiful HUGE high white and she drew a lot of attention but working with her was exhausting. She was always right on the edge of panic and handling and managing her was like handling explosives... She was just manageable enough to go outdoors, but way too tweaky for it to be any real fun...

Rat Vertebrate Mammal Muridae Rodent

She may look all poised in the photo, but she could turn any outing into a chase scene right out of a keystone cops movie. She was a great indoor rat, she used her litter box and never ate wires or chewed papers, mostly she kept to herself, but some rats just shouldn't be taken outdoors; and she was one of them.

The very best true shoulder rats learn to map their environment by more than just smell. Fuzzy Rat would always ride on shoulder looking backwards and when we put her down over half a mile away from the house she lead us straight back to our front door... She could also do the same trick with the car...

This is what a true shoulder rat looks like doing her thing... notice who is leading who and that this is after a rain storm, so she's not following a scent trail she's navigating the world like it's a giant maze.

https://vid.me/BzNQ

Max could do the same thing, and likely so can Cloud... Cloud's just too lazy to walk, she prefers to be carried everywhere she goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts