Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the ingredients on the new Reggie Rat bag in a pet shop the other day and it states that Sodium Chloride is used in the food...

...Surely this can't be good for ratties, can it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sodium chloride is just plain old salt. Every creature needs some amount of salt in their diet, so as long as it's not an excessive amount, you're fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know after I typed that out I suddenly remembered that Sodium Chloride is salt - Duh!

But thanks so much for your reply Macabri :) also just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't affect my ratties.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Even if it's just salt, it doesn't need to be added. Reggie Rat is also a pretty crappy pet store food =/

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, after reading that on it, it has put me off buying it. But I have no idea of any other rat food that I can buy that I don't have to order online.

My girls also have Pets At Home rat nuggets mixed in with their Reggie Rat and also the usual fruit and veggies.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have you looked for Regal Rat near you or considered a homemade diet?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Darksong, I don't think Oxbow is carried in the UK.

I would suggest the Shunamite Diet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have thought about a homemade one, but I have absolutely no idea what I'd put in it (stuff that's available in the UK)

Shunamite diet? Is that another word for a homemade diet that I don't know about :lol: ...
...or is it food ready mixed etc that you can buy in the UK from pet stores?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just been reading the Shunamite diet and realised that my girls are basically eating that. PAH rat nuggets are already part of their staple diet so I just need to swap the Reggie Rat to PAH rat museli, they regularly get Shredded Wheat, cream crackers, veggies, dog biscuits and dried banana as treats...so all I need to do is throw some into the mix.

My girls aren't going to be impressed with me soon, but in the end they'll realise it's good for them and I'm improving their lives.
I just need to use up the dreaded Reggie Rat.

:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
What really bothers me with Excel SupaRat is that they don't really list the ingredients.

Ingredients

Cereals, Vegetables, Derivatives of vegetable origin, Meat and animal derivatives, Oils and fats, Minerals, Fructo-oligosaccharides (Profeed® min 0.3%), Methionine

Um? Could you get any more ambiguous? It's not telling us anything about the ingredients. What kind of cereals, vegetables, etc? It's definitely not a full ingredient list. I tried emailing them on it for a clearer picture and never got a response.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'll have to agree on that. Although, I'm due to review my rats diet after christmas - so will be doing some active investigations into readily available UK rat food. If there are any nasties in there, I'll wheedle them out

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sounds good! I'd be interested in anything you find out too so I know what to recommend to UKer's :3

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'll definately let you know what I find out. Also, thanks for those links regarding Oxbow - one of those stores are right by me. I might check it out for price or see if I can get it through my vets (they're very good like that)

The Excel food - which I can buy in store for £4/£5 per pack I can get through my vets for £10 - for 4 packs! I don't think many people realise that you can get a lot through the practices if you just ask

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks! And you're very welcome, I'm glad the link was helpful :3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts