Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a two quick questions about my rats Merry and Pippin!

1. One of the two rats (I think it is Pippin) has been having soft smelly stool on and off since we got him at the beginning of July. At first I thought it was from stress or a diet change. Or just too many fruits and vegetables. But then I cut those out and they were still happening. I also eliminated yogurt drops because I thought those many have irritated his stomach. Now he has only been eating Oxbow Regal Rat, and every couple days there are still some soft stinky poos around the cage. He is still very active and eating and drinking regularly. One of the two rats (or both) do chew on the plastic pan of the cage though, could him possible ingesting the plastic be causing it?

2. This one is just a behavioral question. Both of the boys are still intact and last time I was at the vet for their respiratory infections I was told to wait until they were older to see if they need to be neutered. Neither of them are being aggressive, but their play fighting has escalated a bit. It has gotten more vocal and the other night Pippin got a cut roughly a quarter inch long on his stomach near the left rear leg. What I figure happened was that he got kicked my Merry when he pinned him down, because they seemed fine after. So what do I need to look for to know if they get to the point where they need to be neutered?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you checked with a vet for parasites? My new rat has nasty stinky poops that are softer. I thought it was the new home/diet change combo and it still might be, but her fecal test came back from the vet positive for pinworms and tape worms! Now after her URI medicine is done we have to deworm her. The vet said to wait so we don't hit her with all this medicine at once, but I feel like the worms might contribute to the poop problems? I'm not sure though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I never actually thought about the possibility of him having worms. Does she have the gross poops all the time though? Pippin doesn't have it everyday. Its like he will be fine for a while and them have 2 or 3 days where it is soft and stinky.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sometimes if rats get really frigtened by something then they will have soft particularly smelly poos. Although it sounds more to me like it might be a parasite problem than a fear/behavioral issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts