Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a small bag of Sojo's from my work and it doesnt have any meat in it, just veggies and fruit. Just wanted to see if it was ok for my rats to eat?

It wont let me post the picture i took but:

Ingredients: sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, celery, apples, whole egg, cranberries, tricalcium phosphate, flax meal, parsley, carob powder, dried kelp, dried alfalfa, ginger root, garlic, sunflower oil, vitamin D3

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I am assuming u mean this:
https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-grain-free-dog-food-mix

meat isnt bad for rats, not sure if u knew that or not. They can and even should have meat sometimes.

There is nothing that stands out as really bad I think. I'm wondering if the sweet potatoes are raw as they shouldnt have raw. The alfalfa is weird but not bad.

It seems like it could be an ok snack, but I dont think I would feed it as their main course IMO

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep thats it!

Sorry, guess I should have clarified a bit more. My rats get mostly Oxbow but they usually get bits of what we're eating + veggies, etc. I work at a pet store and often get things that are going to expire for cheap. Brought it home for the dog and it crossed my mind that the rats might like something new to try. I did find this from the Sojo's website :

"Even though the ingredients in Sojos can be considered "raw" because they haven't been exposed to heat over 118 degrees F, the low moisture allows for a long shelf life. "
Not sure if this means they're cooked enough? :/

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Like what was mentioned before, I would only be worried about the sweet potato. The thing that really stood out to me was the fact that it is dog food and contains no meat. That just seems wrong... dogs need meat.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The instructions say to add your own meat. ;) It's not meant to be a meat free food, just the beginnings of a homemade one. "Combine with water and your own source of meat."

Alfalfa is the only thing on there I personally worry about. I've always heard rats can't digest it, so I've been avoiding it personally. If the sweet potato is raw, though... isn't that bad?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The instructions say to add your own meat. ;) It's not meant to be a meat free food, just the beginnings of a homemade one. "Combine with water and your own source of meat."
Well that makes a ton of sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts