Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Noah is an only child and I am a student he spends time alone during the day. He boggles and everything but sometimes after getting home from school I will ask my grandmother if she gave Noah any attn and she will say she didn't or that Noah didn't want to play. Even though Noah shows signs of happinesses I still worry if he is happy when I'm not home. My grandma seems to be going through phases with how much time she gives Noah when I'm at school. When I really press that he as an only child should at least have 4 hours of one on one, or bring up getting another rat she increases how much time she spends with him. After a bit she dosent give him mush attn or any. I let him roam my room but I'm thinking of letting him free roam of my room 24/7. He isn't a wire chewer but since he wont be supervised I am going to get things for the cables and stuff. I was wondering what people do at night when they have free roaming rats. I'm afraid Noah will go on the bed when I am sleeping and I might squish him. Im not going to be home to check on him so I was wondering what other things I should worry about. Some questions I have are:
How do I stop him from scenting my bed?
How do I stop him from putting holes in my pillows?
What are some good toys to get free roaming rats?
What to do at night because I know he is going to climb on the bed? (right now he is laying under the covers)

Right now he has a cat pole and cat toy that has a platform with a bobbing ball on a spring that he is supposed to hit, a wodent wobust wheel, some ping pong balls. He ignores all of them though. Considering he has a bit of lazy streak what toys should I get for him?

UGH: I just had a scare. I went to give him a cuddle and he was under the covers sleeping with his nose pressed in to the pillow. I had my ear right above his body and I though I heard weezing. After I woke him I didn't hear it so I guess it was just from his nose being covered with pillow, or he was snoring. If rats even snore.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i've had rats tha snore, they were both on in age though. to answer your
questions on how to get him to not do something, don't leave that something there for him to be able to do, otherwise he'll do it. letting him have free roam time 24/7 is not going to make his loneliness any less when he's not getting attention from someone though. this will not fix that.

for how to handle things at night so you don't roll on him, don't sleep in the same room or put him in his cage again. i see no other way to keep him safe during this time unless you are a very light sleeper and would wake up the instant your body touched his. not many people are that light a sleeper though and the ones that are probably wouldn't get much sleep as noah would likely want to be with you.

as far as toys are concerned, it seems like he has some good ones already but is not interested in them. it would seem that if there is no food or you involved he just doesn't care. this might change if he had someone to play with him and get him interested in the toys, it might not, he could just be to lazy to bother with them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't think you can get a rat not to do something, especially if he wants to snuggle :D . The best thing you could do for him is to get him a buddy so he won't be so lonley, and it also elminates alot of problems for you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
[align=center]Getting another rat is a great idea and might elminate Noah's loneliness or he could regect a friend from not ever having one. If he turns out to be very aggressive even through proper introductions and all else has failed then you might have two lone rats. You would need to get a friend for the second one leaving you with three.

Just food for thought...[/align]

·
Registered
520 Posts
Have you ever tried a sand box/digging box for him?

You would have to rig it up where you wouldn't come home to a mess...

I read somewhere that you tried pea fishing, but I have never met a rat that will turn down sand with healthy treats buried in it!

There may be some gray areas between caged and free roam. For a long time, I had a long craft table with their cage next to it, open to the table. They could go in and out, day or night. Because they were confined to the table, I didn’t have to worry about them. It also gave me more room for toys/digging boxes/etc.

One of the more favored toys I’ve made for them was:

- A gallon ice cream tub with a hole (big enough for the biggest rat to comfortably fit through) cut in the lid.
- A bunch of shredded paper, tissue, fabric, etc.
- Healthy treats sprinkled in.
- Rats!

·
Registered
276 Posts
So rats wont have the urge to jump off the table. I had a feeling they would be that secure... but I dunno I wouldn't feel safe with that for some reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The highest thing my rat has jumped off of is the bed. He more slides off. I fell off a few times too so I guess he overcame his fear of jumping down. I got a rubber made container from the store for Noahs new sand box. I will pick up some sand tomorrow and put some treats in it. What treats do you suggest

I was going to make him a digging box with grass and dirt but I realized if I did that I would have dirty paw marks every where. Its annoying enough that he will grab a lab block, climb on to the bed, go under the covers, and eat it. Nothing like slipping in to a bed filled with crumbs

Theres loads of paper that he has stashed under my bed. Its all one huge rats nest. He is running out room. Last night he could not decided if he wanted to stash the paper my grandmother gave him under the bed or in his cage and he kept running back and forth with it in his mouth.

I'm thinking I could buy a another bin and put the shreds from the paper shredder in it. I think he might like rummaging through it. I have to go Noah is trying to break in to the drawer where I keep his lab blocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts