Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm considering buying a DCN and wanted to ask for your input on some questions I have about the cage. I've only ever seen them online, so some things are a little fuzzy for me relating to how the cage works in real life. Please feel free to give any input you think would be helpful.

1. Do you have difficulty hanging hammocks, etc. because of the fully opening cage doors?
2. Can you still hang hammocks from the top of the lower unit easily (I'm using those big metal shower curtain hooks, so wasn't sure how well those would work on the lower unit)?
3. Can you disassemble the unit after you've put it together (i.e. for storage)?
4. Are the bars on the DCN powder coated, painted, etc. and are there any issues with rusting?
5. Are there any other issues / problems / negatives to the unit that you can think of?

Thanks for your time and help!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have a DCN.

1. Not in the slightest. It is easier to decorate and hang things because of the doors.
2. It is a little bit harder since you have to slightly lift the top pan as you are hanging them but still relatively easy to hang things from the top of the lower unit. We use zip ties/baby rings and it works great so shower hooks should also be fine.
3. Yes in theory, but I would not recommend doing this much. It is kind of a pain to disassemble the unit but still do-able as long as you do not jam the pieces together when you are first building it.
4. If you take care of it well, there should not be any issues with rusting. You can keep the cage for years and have it look fairly new. It has a high resell value as a result since it is a well put together, popular cage that holds up fairly well over the years. We wipe the bars down every week and do a thorough clean, making sure to flush corners and crevices so the urine does not marinate in those areas.
5. Putting it together is kind of nightmarish and it is a heavy unit. I strongly advise getting aid on this step and grabbing a hold of a rubber mallet to 'help' the pieces fit. Another negative is that you cannot use loose bedding without investing extra money into pans to hold it. Most people use fleece liners for pans and shelves with the DCN or buy stainless steel pans for bedding.

Having listed all the negatives, it is by far my favorite cage and I am so glad I invested money into it. The boys love it and I am very happy with it too. It is fairly easy to wipe down, great for decorating and it has so much room! Really, this thing is a beast.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use the metal shower hooks as well. You can easily hang things on the lower level. When I do a full clean up I usually do all my hanging prior to putting the plastic pans back in. But for in between hammy changes, you just have to push the plastic tray up a little.

Like any metal cage, keep it clean and it won't rust. If it gets any paint worn off with time I plan on touching it up with rustoleum, it's what I have always done with cages to keep them from rusting or getting smelly.

I hang things directly on the doors-food/water bowls, wicker baskets, lava ledges ect.

If I had to make any changes to the cage, it would be to add a small door into the large one so I can reach in for pets without everyone diving out on me.

I would not want to dissemble unless I was storing it for a long time. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your time and input! If I do end up getting one, I will have to also buy the metal pans so that I can use litter... My ratties never potty trained well and also have a habit of destroying fleece liners, so litter is the way to go for me.

I am planning on using it to replace 2 cages (3m / 3f) so would be using it split into 2 cages (so Im assuming I'll just buy 2 "bottom" metal pans).

I would only be disassembling it if I ever stop having rats for a while and need to store it in the attic... So hopefully that'll be a long time down the road and not a frequent issue.

·
Registered
680 Posts
One negative for me... I have the cage in a corner which is fine for normal operation. However the doors have to fully opened, all the way so they're parallel to the cage again to get the litter pans out. So when I'm cleaning it I have to roll it out into the middle of the room so I can open the doors wide enough to get the pans out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Dan203- The spot where I wanted to put it is in a corner, so I'll have to consider this. If I replace both cages, I can move it closer to the middle of the wall and that won't be an issue, but is something to consider if it goes where the one of my current cages is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.