Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old daughter stuck a goldfish cracker in the girls cage last night. I didnt think much of it except the lil ones never had one before. A few minutes later I heard what sounded like, IDK hiccuping, and alot of wheezing type noises. Almost like out of no where Indica had a severe upper respiratory infection. I watched her and she kept to herself back in a corner for a bit and than she looked like she was trying to cough with both of her dumbo ears laying down on the sides of her head and than going back to normal position. She was still able to breathe, tried drinking, and still wanted to explore my arms after a bit.
My question is was she trying to get the fish cracker (or something else) dislodged out of her throat? I never experienced a rat doing this before and would really like to know if that isnt it, than what was it? I didnt pannick just because I could tell she was breathing and I read somewhere, 99% of the time they work it out.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Yep your girl was choking. Bread and dry things, Peanut butter etc often get stuck in their throat and they do the scary choking, gasping and drooling.

I take it she's fine now?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea she seems to be fine, (sleeping) and seemed fine before I went to bed last night. I didnt see any of the drooling or gasping, but I couldnt think of anything else other than it being her choking. I imagine because it was something new and exciting to her and just went down wrong. On a normal basis my children are not allowed to have food out of the kitchen but my daughter didnt eat well last night so she had a bedtime snack while watching some tv, hence the reason the rats were able to have some of her bed time snack. Anyhow, scared me a bit cause I felt so helpless. But now knowing what was going on I feel better. Live and learn ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts