Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too sure how long is too long for their teeth to be....what the best product or...well anything that they would like to chew on so i they dont have any problems in the future. they seem fine now just wondering if anyone has found something that they like and is safe and healthy.....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hard woods are good. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rat_ratscal said:
chicken bone
Really? i had given em a rib bone a few times...mostly just to watch em scrap over it, they loved that wasnt sure it was any good 4 em for some reason....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Unless I'm very much mistaken, rats do not actually need anything to chew on in order to keep their teeth from overgrowing. They brux (I think that's the word), rubbing their teeth together so they stay at the right length. The only rats that would need help with keeping their teeth at the correct length would be ones that have misaligned teeth.
But, of course, give them something to chew on! Most rats love chewing on things and it is a very natural thing for them. I would think that (pork?) rib bone would be just as safe as a chicken bone, but someone else would know better.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You're right, lost, they don't need anything... but if I don't give them something I get the puppy rat eyes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to make sure they have everything they could want/need, since they cant always get up and get it them selves.....and even when they do its usually a soda cap or loose change....unless they're planning buying a condo behind my back they dont need my quarters.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Condo, heck, they're saving up for treats.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm all about all things wood... Wood chews, wood branches, natural wood perches, wood bird toys, wood ladders... The rats love them, they do help keep their teeth trim (even if they don't NEED it, it's still good for them to chew on harder surfaces), and it keeps them from being too bored. I hang the toys and blocks when possible, as they get peed on if ya don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like to spoil Ollie,soon there wont be any room in his cage left!!
I'll post pics when I'm done decorating

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I usually just buy wood twigs from the pet shop (some tolerate them, occasionally, others hate them) and blocks of dried hard dirt with little bits of flavouring in (which my wild rat Max, LOVES). Although, I have to say most of mine don't tend to want to chew anything (unless it's a wire...like the dvd player or telephone, you know, the important things!)

I usually only introduce new chew-things when I notice their teeth have grown a bit. They have to make do with their old 'i'm bored of this now' ones until then!

·
Registered
527 Posts
i bought some wooden chews that look like apples from the petstore, but the darn things don't even use them . :lol:
i sometimes catch them trying to gnaw on the bars of thier cage, but they run for it as soon as they see me. :roll:
my ratties don't chew on things very much at all, now that i think about it, so i guess that may be a good thing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts