Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I noticed Rory was having trouble walking and keeping one of his hind feet tucked close to his body. He is using that foot to scratch himself when he is sitting, but he is not putting much weight on the foot when he is walking, and he is limping. It looks like one of the outer toes is folded in somewhat. It has me worried! I have no idea what happened to the foot... I wonder if it is something that happened when we were at work! I didn't see signs of him having problems with this foot or toe until today.

The foot is not bruised, and he does not pull it away or squeal when it is touched, but like I said, he is limping. Rory is rowdy and accident-prone, but this foot thing has me scared. I am not sure that this is something I should ignore, so I will call the vet tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment soon.

My question is this: since Rory lives with two cagemates in a three-level cage and they can get rowdy with their wrestling, should I place him in a separate "hospital cage?" (Fiance says no, he's worried that he'll get depressed, but I'm worried about him moving around and whether they might pick on him.) And does anyone have any idea what might possibly be going on?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fiance let Rory walk on the carpet and thinks that Rory can walk well enough to hold his own, even though he is limping and keeping that foot pulled up. He thinks we should keep him in his regular cage. I wonder what the problem with the foot could be? :(

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
One of my girls got a sprained leg a while back. But after a couple days she was fine. I wouldn't worry over it unless it persists.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts