Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on bringing rats into my apartment, and I have been doing some reading/research over the past week (websites, bought the book by Debbie Ducommun, visited two local pet stores, acquired vet numbers and plan to call them, etc.), and I wonder if there's anything more I need to do (beyond initial housing purchases) before I bring my new little friends in.

I do know that I might need to get permission from the properties manager. When presenting my case, are there any suggestions as to what I should bring up to alleviate any fears/doubts with my manager? I have worked for the Properties before, have rented from them for the last three years, and am on good terms with the folks at the rental office. I would hate to damage that relationship by sneaking pets past them that they would not tolerate in the apartments.

There is precedent, however. Many of my neighbors in the apartments have dogs or cats that they keep. This may provide an argument in my favor.

Please assist, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am scared to ask to be allowed to keep rats, because I once asked old management whether I could keep my rats with me. They declined, saying that rats were not allowed, period. I couldn't make ANY argument in my favor, and ended up sneaking them in anyway. It was made worse because I did ask, b/c then they sorta suspected I would have them anyway. It was scary having to always keep them hidden. But I think since you don't have them yet, asking is smart.

Tell the management that rats are extremely clean, never use the carpet as a toilet, and do not smell. Tell them specifically that the type of rat you are adopting is a domesticated rat, which happens to be much different from the rat you see in the sewers. Tell them you will watch the rats all the time, which means they will never get out, or get into any trouble.

Basically, tell the management they are like fish, and that they won't bother anyone in the least. Explain them as being little lap cats, even though some rats are pretty wild and explorative, the fact is- your management doesn't need to know everything about rats, just what is good about them. Rat's won't cause any trouble, and they need to know that. There will be no sign of rats living in your apartment once you leave. If they still don't believe you, tell them that you could find evidence from published sources, and show them directly.

Simply put, rats are the best apartment pets, period.

I hope this helps. I suggest doing as much research as you can, and providing this as a support argument to your case. You did the research, you read the books, and THEN, that's why I know they will work out well here. I am sure you will succeed if you follow all these steps (assuming the management isn't already 100% biased towards rats- If they are, you're probably doomed from the beginning).

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you for the advice and the prompt reply. You make some very good points, and I appreciate your help on the matter.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I suggest asking if you are allowed to keep small, caged animals. There's no real reason to specify rats, given the major myths and general misconceptions about the species. :) When we call landlords for approving adoptions, we ask solely if the wanna-be adopters are allow to have small, caged animals... No sense in anyone who's not educated on the animals thinking they're something they're not! You'll encounter people who hear, "rats" and nothing else and all they can think of is, "filthy vermin!". *sigh*

Just my suggestion, anyway! Since you are on good terms with your landlord, maybe you could go as far as explaining about pet rats. It really depends on how they see them.

I, personally, don't advocate sneeking them in... Some of our surrenders were given up for the very reason that they were snuck in and caught, and it was either the rats go or the tenant goes... :?

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree with the two answers on here. I've encountered a few apartments which allowed CAGED animals, one of my friends was even allowed to keep a house rabbit.

Definitely ask, or it might end up ugly.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not much help seeing as i'm 14 but my advice is to use the words"pocket pets" of "caged animals", trust me they are way more likely yo say yes if the words "rodents" and "rats" are not used. GOODLUCK!!!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's official. I am not allowed to have any pets in my apartment. The folks at the office (secretary and landlord) actually regretted telling me this. When confronted with the fact that some of my neighbors had dogs, the secretary's eyes got wide and my landlord let out an angry exclamation ("WHAT!?). I found that the dogs that have been in the apartment complex are here illegally.

I tried a couple other ways of asking, but they were set. It's in the contract, and there was just no way of getting around it.

So now I'm sad. I don't get my ratties...

:cry:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hope you get your new rats soon!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh wait, sad. As said, I didn't read you last post, as it is the contract, yes. I know what that is like. I lived in apartments 1/4 of my life, so I couldn't have rats, oh horror. But know I'm ok.

As I must say, good luck finding a good home to buy on the market! Then you and your new ratties can enjoy life!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is sad! But don't feel too bad. I had rats illegally at an apartment, and it was scary every day. I had to be sure they were out of sight, and I had to always lock up, just in case my landlord showed up unannounced. I just heard from a lawyer friend that landlords can kick you out in THREE days if they find out you are keeping animals when not allowed. Probably best to wait... Keep researching, and planning, and then when you finally get ratties you won't make as many mistakes (like I did when I first got rats).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts