Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Say Hello section, but I thought I could get some more feedback if I posted it in General Rat Topics. The folks who have responded in the Say Hello section have been fantastic, but I would like the advice of some other members of the forums. So here it is...

I am planning on bringing rats into my apartment, and I have been doing some reading/research over the past week (websites, bought the book by Debbie Ducommun, visited two local pet stores, acquired vet numbers and plan to call them, etc.), and I wonder if there's anything more I need to do (beyond initial housing purchases) before I bring my new little friends in.

I do know that I might need to get permission from the properties manager. When presenting my case, are there any suggestions as to what I should bring up to alleviate any fears/doubts with my manager? I have worked for the Properties before, have rented from them for the last three years, and am on good terms with the folks at the rental office. I would hate to damage that relationship by sneaking pets past them that they would not tolerate in the apartments.

There is precedent, however. Many of my neighbors in the apartments have dogs or cats that they keep. This may provide an argument in my favor.

Please assist, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If they complain that you want rats - because most people have a negative view of RODENTS - Tell them that they are cleaner, quieter, shed less, and are less property damaging than either cats or dogs. I would also try and find a breeder instead of going to a pet store. As you can read on this forum there are many disadvantages to getting a pet store rat, such as breathing problems, more likely to get tumors, more likely to have personality or temperament problems. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts