Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’m a soon to be new rat mom to two Dumbo Rat females (one hairless). They will be my first rats so although I’m doing all the research I can to educate myself... it’s always good to get advice from people who already have them. I’ve purchased an enclosure and travel pouches... some climbs? But I’m sort of clueless when it comes to what I should be buying. Please feel free to recommend anything to me that you love from bedding to yogurts, brands you love and ones to stay away from? All advise is welcomed! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ofc you need a big cage for your rats, hope you got that correct! 😁

I have loads of bins in my rats' cage I put fluff in one, and a blanket in another, some dust-free litter for poopies in two, and some tissue paper!! I take boxes and cut holes in them to make tiny houses! One REALLY easy/cheap thing I use for my rats is a gift bag(with no glitter or toxic stuff on it) with tissue paper in it! My rats LOVE that, and it only cost like $2 (if you go to the dollar tree)🤣 I also have a rat hammock with a soft blanket in it, that is their next favorite thing! I'm planning on making more rat hammocks for them. Like maybe a honeycomb one, or a tube!! I can tell you how they go if you want when I make them!! 😄

They need PLENTY of chew toys and honestly random objects for them to play with. My rats particularly love this little soft foam ball, it's the one you throw in the water. It's kinda like a sponge almost, except its a toy XD Give them little objects that are COMPLETELY safe for them to chew up and do practically whatever with, my rats love that.

Try the best you can to not support shops like Petco because they abuse their animals and terrible things. You can do that by not buying things from their stores(like ones that sell pets as well, other ones that just sell pet supplies are completely fine)

Ofc for bedding you want to find a DUST-FREE one because otherwise, it will upset your lil ratties' lungs. Other bedding like Cedar, Pine, Clay Cat Litter, and Corn Cob Bedding should NOT be used. Good bedding to use would be Shredded Paper, Aspen, CareFRESH, Pellet Bedding, and Cloth! If you want to put bedding in the bottom of the cage along with a litter box, then you need different bedding for the litter box so your rats don't get confused. I just put a box with some bedding and stuck a few of their poopies in it at the bottom of their cage, and they use it as a little box. It makes me proud to see them walk all the way down to use the bathroom like good bois.

My rats LOVE a good digging box, they get all messy and just loads of fun! You need completely safe dirt for them, there needs to be NO chemicals, just plain dirt. And a big box, I use a smaller one, and I kinda regret that because I never knew how much they would like it. If you want to put plants in, first make sure they are completely safe for the rats. You don't want to put something in that could harm them. And you MUST, to keep it moist, mist it every day. Otherwise, it will get dusty and you don't want that for your rats.

You usually want multiple places for food and water, so the rats don't fight over the food and water.

Rats can eat Apples, cherries, grapes, bananas, strawberries and other berries, melons, plums, broccoli, potatoes, peas, carrot, cooked sweet potato, kale, parsley, bok choy, squash, and cucumber are all excellent options for adding some variety to your rat’s diet. Meats like chicken, beef, tuna and liver are also great for rats. Make sure you mash them up a bit before serving so they’re easier to digest. They can also eat whole wheat pasta and bread, COOKED beans (including soy), yogurt (especially with live cultures), brown rice, unsweetened breakfast cereals, mealworms, and small dog biscuits. Special treats given only occasionally would be whole nuts in the shell (almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts), sunflower seeds (high in fat), and carob chips.

And can NOT eat Chocolate, raw beans, raw sweet potato, cabbage and brussels sprouts, green potatoes, sweet, sugary treats and any other human "junk food", caffeinated beverages and carbonated drinks, green bananas, wild insects (due to parasites and pesticides they may contain), poppy seeds, lemon and orange peels, juice, mango, black pepper, nutmeg, and dried corn. Ironically most rats are lactose intolerant, so no dairy(that includes cheese). So don't feed them any of that stuff for their safety.

Lol, sorry that was A LOT, but you said you wanted information so here you go 😁 ❤ I hope you have a wonderful time with your rats!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations on your new babies!! So I totally agree with everything @Friendshipy said, lots and lots of good info there. Just gonna throw in a couple links that helped me and some of my favorite advice as well.

Bigger the better when it comes to cage size! Especially with how many little ratties you are about to have! Black Feisty Ferret Cage, ferret nation or critter nation are great brands when picking a cage, but there are plenty of options out there. Never use a tub, toate or tank for keeping rats! This is very dangerous and evern a day in one could cause respiratory issues.

Once you have your cage you’ll want to fill it to the BRIM with toys and accessories, like Friendshipy said, dollar tree / walmart / ikea can be a great way to get goodies for your cage without breaking the bank. Just make sure the items you buy are non toxic and rat safe. You’ll want hammocks, hides, chew toys and hopefully some foraging toys as well. Rats are very smart animals and will need lots of toys and activities to keep them from getting bored.

When it comes to bedding NON scented and DUST free is the way to go. Like I mentioned, a rat's respiratory system is very sensitive and they are prone to getting sick. Besides that, pick out whatever you like best. Some people make mixes of coconut fiber / soil and aspen bedding. While others like clean and fresh food. I personally like to line my cage in fleece and litter train my boys with hemp pellets.

If you do choose to not add a substrate in your cage, I'd highly recommend a dig box. I'd also just highly recommend one. They can be filled with paper or dirt and your rats will LOVE it.

When it comes to food you should try to feed something like oxbow rat food or mazuri rat food as their main diet. Stay away from the colorful and “fun” looking mixes like festia. While these might seem like a great source of variety, they are actually very bad for your rats.

Hairless rats can have some skin and health problems that non hairless rats dont face. Watch out for pimples and ingrown hairs, as well as them getting too hot. However overall they aren't any more difficult.

A few other don’ts I'd throw in is; Dont bathe your rat, the soap can be very harmful and the water very stressful! Rats naturally bath themselves. As cute as it looks, it's really not good for them. Only wipe them down with a wet cloth if something is stuck one them or they got dirty and need help cleaning up. Dont expose them to toxic chemicals, such as scented candles or perfumes, cigarettes etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts