Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! My name's Ryan and I hail from Seattle, though I'm moving to Walla Walla in a few months for school - I've found a house there now so I won't be spending summers in Seattle anymore. I'm getting three rats from a rescue here in Seattle within the next month, so I thought I'd join up here before I do! I had rats as a child but I'm pretty sure I did a terrible job of taking care of them and I want to do it right this time.

My main concern is that my housemates have stated they're fine with rats but would rather have them stay in my room, which is fine, but I also sew quite a bit and I'm worried the sewing machine noises will irritate the rats. I can definitely move one of them into a common area, but it would be nice to be able to sew and hang out with them at the same time. I don't remember the rats I had before being particularly bothered by noises, but the sewing machine is pretty loud and repetitive. Thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine are in our main living area with my 2 year old and 4 other toddlers I watch during the day. And they do fine with the noise. They got use to it very quickly and like all the attention:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome!
Rats live in colonies with lots of rats so I guess noises per se won't be a problem. I guess that they will take some time to get used to the sewing machine but you'll have to try. Maybe playing some music while you are using it will be helpful. Or not. It could very well depend on each of the rats' personalities. I'd be careful with your sewing supplies and rats roaming free because they will be glad to add extra ventilation to your creations.
Best of lucks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Ryan! I live right by you in Renton! It's really awesome to see just how many people own rats in the PNW especially in WA state and surrounding areas. Terribly hot weather lately huh?

As far as the sound goes, maybe at first they won't like it but they should get used to it. I work from home listening to pre-recorded phone calls through the speaker setup at my desktop. I work from my bedroom which is where my rats are kept. It can get pretty loud in this room at times, between my work, our video game playing and the music I play sometimes. At first the girls were a little jumpy and nervous whenever the volume would change but now they don't care at all and when I start playing a recording sometimes they run to the front of the cage cause they know I'm sitting at my desk and can see them lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, that's good to hear! I thought it would probably be okay since so many rat owners seem to sew things for their rats, but I wanted to check.

NaughtyFaerie, yes! It's been so dry too, I imagine everyone's rats are having a bit of a hard time. Hopefully we'll get some rain soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts