Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got home from work, and my male ostrich is walking around with one of his back legs up and off the ground. I looked at it, and I didn't see any obvious swelling. I tried to gently feel if it might be broken but i've noticed he moves it a bit, and he didn't squeek when I moved it slightly. He is still eating and drinking, and moving around as he always does but he is keeping that back leg up.

I've called the e-vet, and they told me he should be fine but to call my vet in the morning, which I plan on doing. Waiting can be stressful, and I wanted to know if anyone has had an experience similar to this. Also is there any sure way to tell if a leg is broke/dislocated?

I would appreciate any info or advice.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If it's broken or dislocated you may be able to see that it's 'wrong', extra bends, held loose, etc. It is possible to sprain or strain the legs, especially if they jump all over the place.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. The leg doesn't look wrong, as far as my untrained eye can tell. They are so small, so I was worried that there would be no sign whatsoever. He's as hungry as ever, and I have to admit i'm guilty of giving him a few extra treats tonight........sigh i'm just upset my little rattie is hurt. :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you can, possibly put him in a smaller cage, to keep him still and give him time to rest? Else, just make him comfy. He may feel better by morning! *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a smaller cage actually. I just read a similar thread where someone suggested a serious neurological problem :( I'm afraid I'm getting more worried but I explained everything to the e-vet, and she said he'd probably be fine :( Thanks a bunch for your response.

just thought i'd throw this out there but it couldn't possibly be connected to his neuter could it? three weeks since he's had it done, and everything looks fine in that area.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Had it occurred immediately thereafter I'd wonder, but at this point he's got to be almost completely healed, hasn't he?

It could be neurological, but the simplest solution is the one to approach first... a sprain or twist. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is nearly completely healed.

I really hope it's just a sprain but i'm positive the vet will be able to tell me for sure.

I have to work for most of the day tomorrow, so my boyfriend will have to bring him in but it's ok he loves the ratties as much as I do! :)

Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Sprains and strains are common occurences in ratty land. Just watch for excessive swelling or real bruising, signs of real pain, not just an ouch squeak if its bumped. Sprains can heal really fast. Breaks can be open fractures (bone protruding from skin) or closed (inside skin)...they both swell up badly, and the rat will not let them touch the ground, whereas a sprain they might dot it down for balance.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. I just wanted to give an update before I head to bed (I know it's early i'm lame) anyhoo

Ostrich was much better this morning, and he was using his leg a lot more but we still wanted him to see the vet (I had too much of a scare with the mention of neurological damage) and everything is OK :)

Ostrich just hurt his leg. Doctor B was going to give him meds but he was doing much better, so he didn't think he needed them. Though Dan told me he said the meds were just dosed down dog meds??? 8O it seems strange but he is the only vet who has been schooled in exotic pets, so I guess it's normal?

Well i'm heading to bed but thanks again to everyone who responded. Being a rat mom is tough sometimes lol. I guess I can't freak out everytime a rattie hurts their leg. GANIGHT EVERYONE!!!! :)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Most medications we give our rats were created for other animals, not rats themselves. Then someone had a sick rabbit or guineapig or rat and tried (baytril/doxy/Revolution, etc) to see if it would help and they found out that it worked very well. :)

I will guess the medication was metacam or meloxicam? Thats a common pain relief/anti-inflammatory used for dogs. Its great stuff for rats. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok that's something I didn't know. For some reason when people mentioned meds on here I assumed they were created for rats or rodents in general. Dan doesn't quite remember the name but he said the names sound familiar. In any case I'm glad Ostrich didn't really need them :) he's such a clumsy oaf but he makes me smile :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts