Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. April is busy making me old before my day. Shes become quite mean the last week, she bites when being petted, when she doesnt want to go back in the cage after free range, and her cage mates get pinned a lot. Her fur rises and she puffs herself up each time. She doesnt break skin but it does hurt.

Maybe Im desperate for an answer as to why she turned so suddenly but atm Im in the bathroom with her for some trust training and I noticed her front paws look swollen, a little red and doesnt have fur on the paws. There seems to be a small insect bite or something. She doesnt flinch when I touch it but that can also be because she freezes in unfimiliar places. Can this be because she's hurting somewhere or hormones or what can it be?

Shes 11 months old and this started on 10 months. Im just desperate to know why she changed so suddenly.

Sorry if this is a stupid thread but I miss my sweet April.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Can you get a photo at all. It might be that she is barbering her own front paws. This makes them sore and red looking nd is a sign of stress. That coupled with the behavioral changes makes me think she might have polycystic ovaries or a similar problem. It's a lot more common in rats than we realise and is a very painful condition in humans as well add causing hormonal style mood swings. The fix is to get her spayed, a big op but if she's healthy this could make get much happier and also reduce her chance of getting lumps and pts in the future.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill try to get one tomorrow morning. Phone camera sucks with no flash. I hope its not that. Because I think the nearest vet that will spay is few hours away. Can it be from stress of new- ish rats? I posted before on her agression towards the newer girls (got them around 1 month ago) I'll be moving them to another room to see if thats the cause of her stress?

If it is stress from the newer rats, how do I go about solving or managing it? I'll post pic tomorrow and will have a talk with the exotic vet on the phone and ask about prices and such.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The new girls may have made it worse but most girls learn to get along very well. honestly i expect thete us something going on woth her ovaries as it's fairly typical they become even more grumpy towards other rats. Its tough that there isn't a vet nearby who will spay. Maybe they would consider it if it was health related rather than elective. i have travelled around 1hr15 before to get to a good very for an op for my guys but prefer more local for helping them recover after

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took her to the vet and she has a respiratory infection with some inflammation around the lungs. The vet said

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stupid phone, anyway the vet said that it can be the reason why she is so mean when we touch her. Shes on metacam for 6 days and some baytril and doxy for 2 weeks. If she doesnt improve then they will do an xray of her lungs and overall. So we'll see what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts