Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not really his foot. It's on the bottom where his leg makes contact with the floor when he's resting, but it's closer to that first big joint. It has been there for about 7-10 days and I *thought* it was getting better. It's swollen a bit, but it doesn't look infected.

I came home from work and saw blood on the floor of his cage where he hangs out most.

If he would just leave it alone it would probably heal in a couple'a'few days, but it's on a pretty unlucky part of his leg -- it makes contact with the floor a lot aggravating the sore.

I've got him cleaned up, but does any one have any suggestions on how I can keep him from trying to pull on the bandage? I don't think I could put a miniature lamp shade collar on him like dogs and cats get. ;)

I didn't think about taking the picture before I put the bandage on because I didn't anticipate asking for advice. It wasn't until I saw him pulling on it that I thought I should see what some one else thinks. If he ends up getting it off, I'll snap another picture.

Yes, that's a Barbi bandage. :) It's leftover from when my son was little and I used them to torment him. haha

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It may well be bumble foot. As a rat gets older and heavier, sores can appear on their rear feet and ankle area. I apply polysporin to keep it under control. There is a coating you can apply. I am not sure what it is called though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hope your ratty gets better!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Blue Kote. Thats it. Neosporin is fine to use as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts