Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time rat owner and I've seen the 'bloody tear' questions before butplease, set my worries to rest too. T.T

I brought them in to my vet about a month ago because they just got fixed and one of them was cooing like a bird. He said their was nothing wrong internally but gave me antibiotics for his stiches since they were swelling.

Now I am out of the area of my vet at college living in a dorm. Both rats start to coo every other time or so but its not for long.

Tonight the rat that has never worried me, got the 'bloody tear' in one eye only.

Neither of them have done this before, they have been sneezing, but if they sneeze more than five times in an hour I clean around their cage and wipe down their levels. They are still very active, are eating, I don't hear them weazing and they don't seem troubled.

Is this just something that happens once in a while? Is it because they are nearing a year old? Thanks for reading, this just gave me a great scare tonight.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If they're sneezing I might get them checked for an upper respiratory infection?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
yeah i agree a trip to the vets might be in order (again)
Jess x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have contacted my vet and he is going to get back to me when he's done with his appoinments.

I had a biger scare this morning around 9 when Yuki's eye is so crusted that his 'whites/blue' was cream and he could not move it, even though I stayed up till 7 this morning just to keep an eye on him ocassionally cleanin ghis eye with warm water. Righ tnow they both are active again and Yuki's eye looks like it's back to normal, it just had some crust on his fur that I cleaned off.

I'm asking my vet for advice when he contacts me or even an eyedrop perscription.

Until then, I gave him a Vitamin c rich toatoe piece. There is still no weasing or heaving breathing, sneezing or hiccuping and they both are eating, drinking, using the bathroom and are climbing their cage walls.

The collge dorn isn't new. It's about 6 weeks into this quarter and they lived here last quarter as well for over 10 weeks With only a small Xmas break inbetween.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, my vet never did call me back but I got a hold of the other 'rat' docter in the clinic. He told me that as long as he's moving eating and there are no signs of heavy breathing or sneezing then it's most likly just a small irritation to something.

So the past few days I have wiped their levels clean of fresh urin, moved them into an area that I believe has a slightly better circulation. He has eaten, slept, played and he breaths the same way my healthy rat does and niether of them have been sneezing and Yuki's eyes are clear...BUT

FOR SOME REASON HIS ONE EYE STILL SHOWS THE 'BLOODY TEAR!' It doesn't ooze out or crust, just twice today I've found just a little around his eye. I clean it with water and he grooms the rest, but I just don't understand why that one eye is still doing it.

So is it natural for it to occur sometimes for a few days? My roomate has also owned rats and didn't even know what the bloody tear was.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Rats tears are reddish, so you're probably not seeing a bloody tear but a regular tear. Excess porphyrin is usually a sign of infection but it might be as simple as an allergy; however, it's always a good idea to visit a vet if you're unsure. Also most vets won't tell you what is/is not wrong with an animal w/out a visit because it is unethical, so you might want to find a vet who would rather see the animal rather than guess what's wrong. Let us know how it goes :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thankx for all the help, I finally found a vet in my area that did rodents and we had a visit today at 2. It turned out to be a scratch in his eye that just needed some eye drops. So now he's on medication for a little while.

I was so relived that all the stress that bundled up got released in a good nap that both me and my ratties sharred. I just perpared for the worst and can laugh at myself for all the panic attacks I gave to myself.

As the vet said .."Scratches aren't contagious...unless it's a cat fight'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts