Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys getting sick of my questions yet? ;)

Alrighty. My husband and I have found a breeder in our area, so we're getting two baby girls this next Saturday the 15th. I'm so excited! They are 6 months old, so they're a bit older than we originally thought we were going to get, but they are just adorable. Cheesy We've gotten pictures of them, and we have tentatively decided to call them Pixel and FizGig. Both are dumbo rexes. Pixel is a black veri-berk, and FizGig is a black berkshire.

Well, we know we'd love to get them spayed (to prevent tumors and such later in life), but my understanding is that the best time to spay is from 3-4 months of age, before they hit puberty. Since they're already 6 months old, should we still spay them as soon as we get them? Would it be detrimental to their health if we wait to see if they develop tumors, and then spay them when they get the tumor operation? Or is that cruel? I want to do what's best for them, but we're short on cash right now and spays are around $95-250, depending on which vet we end up using. (That's why we're getting 2 instead of 3...)

I'll admit I'm actually feeling a bit bad about even getting them, knowing it's going to be hard to get the money to get them spayed. I know it's a preventative instead of curative surgery, but... I don't know. I want to do what's right for them. If spaying them now is best, I will figure out how to get the money somehow--use my Christmas money or find something extra to do up at work. I just wanted your opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
We're here for questions! :) I'd rather someone ask a lot than not at all... Shows you want to do what's best.

At 6 months I would very, very much spay them now. The sooner you spay, regardless of age, the better chance of preventing tumors. I, personally, wouldn't wait... Though if, for money reasons you needed to a few months, don't stress it.

Remind yourself that the money spent for spays now many save you more later.

So, my opinion? Spay as soon as you can. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
My family and I have always spayed all our females from 5 weeks to 21 months. And they have all benefited. We've had over 60 females spayed.
So ya, spay them as soon as you get them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts