Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 6 males and 8 females, all unaltered. My plan is to consolidate them to an enormous cage.

I was going to get all the girls spayed so that they can live together. The way I came to this conclusion was that females (I know, I know, this is debatable, but I think it's true) can have health benefits from a spay, whereas that's not necessarily true of the males. (Besides the fact that the buck grease will be greatly reduced; which isn't really an issue for me).

But now, and for some reason only now, it struck me that just because the females are spayed doesn't mean that the unaltered males won't be jealous/territorial living with them. The males will still have all of their raging male testosterone (no offense, guys! :wink: ) Of course the females won't go into heat any longer, so will that solve the problem? Or are male rats territorial not only in the presence of females in heat, but in the presence of females in general?

Haven't asked my vet yet, but though you all might have some positive or negative experiences to share in this area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
It's just fine. I know people who have several large colonies of spayed females with neutered and intact boys with no problems :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts